Berlant Concertone - Add Phantom from PSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
Howdy gents,

A client had an old Berlant Concertone tape machine amp that had already been partially gutted. I put it back together for him as a preamp, and he would like me to add phantom power to it. Wanted to run this by y'all.

It runs a 22V secondary to five tube heaters wired in series. A separate 6V secondary powers the 12BH7 meter buffer.

Which secondary do you think would be better to draw power for phantom? I'm inclined to use the 22V, since it would be a relatively simple task to double the voltage.

Is there any reason not to use the heater supply for phantom? Should I pull from the 500V B+ instead?

Attachments

• Berlant Schemo-PSU.jpg
    Berlant Schemo-PSU.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 26
I have at least one quadrupler running off a filament winding for single channel phantom.  Whatever makes sense.    The 22 already has a ground. 

Wouldnt a quadrupler from the 6V secondary give you only around 34V DC? since 6V RMS equals 8.5V peak, and 4 times that is 34, im not getting how you can get 48V phantom with a quadrupler, a six times multiplier gives you 51V which sounds more like a valid voltage to feed a 48V voltage regulator.

user 37518 said:
Wouldnt a quadrupler from the 6V secondary give you only around 34V DC? since 6V RMS equals 8.5V peak, and 4 times that is 34, im not getting how you can get 48V phantom with a quadrupler, a six times multiplier gives you 51V which sounds more like a valid voltage to feed a 48V voltage regulator.

Well it's probably six then, it's been installed and working for 22 years since I looked at it closely. 

Latest posts

Back