L.a. curfew

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

We are now under curfew after  a few nights of protests resulting in 533 arrests last night alone. If the 533 arrested for vandalism to theft to assault on police officers and even attempted  murder, 18 are still in custody. We are currently at the studio keeping watch.
While I understand  the anger and frustration, I don’t condone the actions nor do I comprehend the thought behind them.
May the universe have mercy on us all.

Wednesday I watched the riot
Seen the cops out on the street
Watched 'em throwin' rocks and stuff
And chokin' in the heat

I can understand the racial anger and fear a little, being caucasian and having lived in equatorial Africa for several years and being stereotypically identified as I walked down the street. I think this is boiling over not only because of hundreds of years of racially motivated agression (beatings, lynchings, etc.), but the current pandemic with its partisan divide, social sequestration, anxiety, blacks (and hispanics) being in jobs that are more likely to have exposure to the virus, and  even socially and medically more susceptible  to a bad outcome, has brought this to a head, with one more black man being killed by police being the straw that broke the camel's back.

The looting is not warranted and looters are using the protests as an excuse to "get me some," but I can understand the violence of the protests. There are those that say this is being instigated by "outsiders," but there needs to be some data on that, not just more social media divisive imaginary BS.

ubxf said:
Covid, Riots now we are due for an earthquake

Ha! Tell me that! We had 5.7 on March 18. Our shop happened to be about a mile or two from epicenter, so a few shelves collapsed, blocking all the entrances to the rooms, and leaving myriads of small parts, 0-80, 1-72, and 2-56 screws and nuts all over entire space (mind you, for production we buy all those little screws and parts in some 500 quantities per item and many of them were in bulk, rather than boxed). Truly, the time when grown up men cry in disbelief… Only about a couple weeks ago we were able to somehow sort out things and return to operation...

Best, M

PRR said:
Wednesday I watched the riot
Seen the cops out on the street
Watched 'em throwin' rocks and stuff
And chokin' in the heat
Good album and Frank Zappa (RIP) commenting about Watts riots (Bob Dylan wasn't our only poet laureate).

Back in the 60s in Boston I recall watching (my) college campus riots on TV from my apartment a couple blocks away. I had no desire to join that (cinder) block party.

JR

When does it end?
curfew going, protests roaring, demand for the mayor to step down, calls for the police chief and d.a. to step down.  National guard, pd and sheriffs are out.  Yesterday they marched in front of the studio,  while most said they were peaceful, the ones leading the march on bicycles and skateboards had backpacks with baseball bats sticking out.  We watched from the parking lot. One person  marching stopped and said something to  one of the studio staff and it erupted into an argument.. The  studio staffer said something  in return and next thing the protester told the crowd and soon we had about 20 people trying to argue with said staffer. I stepped in between and sent the staffer  inside and asked the protester  to just  move it along, we have no beef here. He tried to instigate further confrontation by saying  things like “or what?what you going to do?”  I reminded him and the crowd that he was on our roof the previous night, he is our neighbor,  and we share the same landlord.  By law he is trespassing which is illegal. The crowd was like oh? And most  Stopped at that point to go back marching, then one pulled the guy away saying we were not worth it. .  A few others  tried to spark stuff up,  but we just ignored that.  We don’t want trouble,  blocks  away they ravaged businesses.  We are boarded up like you would during a hurricane. We are safe at the moment.  I reprimanded the staffer.
But at what point is enough? Do you just bend to the demands?  There is no answer that will work for all.

The George Floyd killer and his cohorts should get the maximum possible punishment, as should anyone else (of any color) that commits a horrendous crime toward anybody else (of any color). But the cherry-picking media circus and the destructive, violent protests/riots are really just as bad (additional people have died), and are a terrible reaction/response that will not make anything better.

gltech said:
The George Floyd killer and his cohorts should get the maximum possible punishment, as should anyone else (of any color) that commits a horrendous crime toward anybody else (of any color). But the cherry-picking media circus and the destructive, violent protests/riots are really just as bad (additional people have died), and are a terrible reaction/response that will not make anything better.

what's interesting is that in this case, there does not seem to be any counter arguments, we all seem to agree that  Floyd was murdered and those involved should get the maximum penalty under the law.  There really is no way to prove it otherwise.

Yesterday in the afternoon, we had a upper end art gallery blocks over get broken into. it was all filmed  and for the most part the general argument of the public was "they have money, they have insurance so I am taking stuff" those actions, that argument negates everything the protests  are for. The only silver lining was one person in the group said they shouldn't be taking stuff. that they act like this and then wonder why they get treated like they do.

It's nuts. may the universe have mercy on us all.

pucho812 said:
When does it end?
curfew going, protests roaring, demand for the mayor to step down, calls for the police chief and d.a. to step down.  National guard, pd and sheriffs are out.  Yesterday they marched in front of the studio,  while most said they were peaceful, the ones leading the march on bicycles and skateboards had backpacks with baseball bats sticking out.  We watched from the parking lot. One person  marching stopped and said something to  one of the studio staff and it erupted into an argument.. The  studio staffer said something  in return and next thing the protester told the crowd and soon we had about 20 people trying to argue with said staffer. I stepped in between and sent the staffer  inside and asked the protester  to just  move it along, we have no beef here. He tried to instigate further confrontation by saying  things like “or what?what you going to do?”  I reminded him and the crowd that he was on our roof the previous night, he is our neighbor,  and we share the same landlord.  By law he is trespassing which is illegal. The crowd was like oh? And most  Stopped at that point to go back marching, then one pulled the guy away saying we were not worth it. .  A few others  tried to spark stuff up,  but we just ignored that.  We don’t want trouble,  blocks  away they ravaged businesses.  We are boarded up like you would during a hurricane. We are safe at the moment.  I reprimanded the staffer.
But at what point is enough? Do you just bend to the demands?  There is no answer that will work for all.
The silliest thing I've heard recently is a call to defund the police departments.  I have to give the anarchists credit for having the cohones to literally come out and ask for that... who knows? The useful idiots may consider it.... (actually not a completely new concept, but first time I heard it suggested semi-seriously in polical appeasement from local leaders.)

JR

Latest posts

Back