6k for what looks like a diy build.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clearly the arrangement is quite deliberate. It's actually not completely unlike how builds were done at one point using point-to-point wiring on bits of tag board. The builder is probably some old coot that used to do "dead bug" prototyping. And, in theory it could work fine as long as there are no high impedance lines that deserve to be shielded or high current wires that deserved to be paralleled by return wires. And unfortunately there very well could be since there are some wiring choices that make it clear that the builder does not actually understand such things. And obviously the whole technique is just a disaster to service.

JohnRoberts said:
How does it sound... ?

Glad to hear there are still phools with more dollars than sense.

JR

PS: I could ugly up my drum tuners... ::)

Apparently it doesn't sound on one channel which is what sparked opening it up and the discovery of the rats nest inside.

Bothers me most is the ratsnest has enough symmetry of parts that you can imagine what it could be.  ;D

https://youtu.be/CJQU22Ttpwc?list=RDCJQU22Ttpwc&t=8

I've seen some goofy wiring in old stuff like Eico tuners... and have had a few pieces cross my path that were obviously made by some studio tech or probably high paid engineer that were the same. Maybe they could've sounded better but they usually sounded pretty good, but then I surely don't think they were $6 grand.  I still respect the process in any form. Maybe because I'm not convinced yet I'll ever memorize OHM's law or figure out how load lines work in the anywhere near future.

Does kinda look like a prototype/breadboard having a case built around it but sometimes I feel like my garage is a garbage dump with 4 walls built around it  and don't get me started on some other areas of my house...lol

Hello

Nice build  ;D
but probably the main "issue" is that's a tube device... who will put hand into this not knowing what's going on and where are high voltage  :eek:

Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back