Telefunken M221 with defective transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RuudNL

I have a Telefunken M221 microphone with a defective transformer.
The problem is: how to get the old transformer out and the new transformer in...
The construction consists of a couple of plexiglass disks with the components (and the transformer) between them.
Unfortunately it is not possible to slide the transformer out sideways.
At the capsule side there are two screws, but whatever I tried, I couldn't remove them, or even turn them.
Are these very thin long screws that end at the connector side, or are there segments with both inner and outer thread that screw together?
The construction looks like: build once, service never...  ;D
Any suggestions?

Attachments

• M221.jpg
    M221.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 58
That looks like puzzle
Are the long rods the screws?
If so have you tried penetrating oil or heat at the connector end threads?

I am think you are correct about build once.
It looks like it might have been built starting from the transformer end and moving "up" soldering parts in place like cordwood construction.

I also had this mic recently, you have to start from the top and desolder ALL parts. then you can remove the disks and the transformer carefully. Then rebuild.:D Mine had a bad ac701, intermittent tuchel,and caramic disk filter cap there is no place at all to replace them(except the ac701) The hungarian m221 copies are even better as it has worse quality pcb and gefell parts.

Those long rods are piece by piece screwed together. So, in order to get access to the trafo, you need to unscrew the two short screws on top and then as TLRT said, then unsolder everything. Wow, I never done that and I do not envy you. I wish you good luck! By the way, those are my mics on the pic. If your mic is M221 as you say, then it is the one lowest with that yellow trafo, which by the way is a Hiller T 14/1. Also marked C TM 14/1 in Hiller-mics M160 and M159. M221 was only made a very short time and a limited amount.

I just checked out my M221 and the two top-screws are hopeless-looking rusty. Did not even dare to turn them. On M221B the screws came loose easily though.

This was mine,telefunken badge m221b. it is the 120V polarization voltage version for M934b capsules.(as I know there were standard 60v versions,but never seen that). What was strange the mic is sensitive to lm317 heater regulation,it was noisy somehow,so I just build an unregulated PSU with choke.

Attachments

• 74604643_3188702151200069_917113476340514816_o.jpg
    74604643_3188702151200069_917113476340514816_o.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 35
TLRT said:
What was strange the mic is sensitive to lm317 heater regulation,it was noisy somehow,so I just build an unregulated PSU with choke.

Did you have a capasitor to ground before the LM317? That may be needed. My mics are M221, M221B and M155. I have three original Schoeps N20B PSUs dedicated to each. Heating in them is regulated with one zener and a choke in front of it. No noise problems. I cannot hear any difference between a PSU with or without zener, but I only ever made comparisons with Neumann PSUs. I remember at least one person say, he can hear the zener in the PSU.

panman said:
Did you have a capasitor to ground before the LM317? That may be needed. My mics are M221, M221B and M155. I have three original Schoeps N20B PSUs dedicated to each. Heating in them is regulated with one zener and a choke in front of it. No noise problems. I cannot hear any difference between a PSU with or without zener, but I only ever made comparisons with Neumann PSUs. I remember at least one person say, he can hear the zener in the PSU.

Yes sure it has capacitors before and after the IC regulator. Thanks for mentioning the proper type of the PSU(N20B) I'll review the schematics.

This may not be helpful, but when I have been servicing my old Nikon lenses if I have stuck screws I use acetone on them.  If there is any sort of thread lock used it softens it & the screws undo easily afterwards.

resurecting this thread for a question ... where is it possible to get one of these transformers ? I have an old cmt30 from ORTF in the need of so much TLC that i was planning to upgrade it as a tube mic with some russian counterpart of the infamous ac701k , but i need the transformer. Any thought ?

Moby is the way to go in my opinion. I think he also offers the “original” T44/1. But I’m not 100% sure.
Either way I would contact him.

Back