• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB BC184c

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zero

Hi good people,
Need to buy a generous quantity of BC184c transistors, 60 at least depending on the price.
Fairchild preferably , original NOS, ( no fakes please have plenty of those )
Thank you.
Cheers.

madreza said:
just a question :
How to detect a fake BC184C ?

I bought a bunch of them on Ebay and found that they looked funky compared to the ones i have, even the size is a bit different, and i had no idea there were loads of Chinese fakes all around the market until i did some searching on the web and found out its a reality.
wont even bother to used them and find out what´s the deal.

The one on the left is the wrong :
Fake-BC184c-2.jpg

madreza said:
How to detect a fake BC184C ?

You can never be sure about these Chinese Ebay items.

Bought some „jfets“ a while back and got pnp's with Fairchild fake markings.  :eek:
Get a transistor tester from ebay.  Also from China. :D

Good for a quick test.

On the photo these are genuine fairchild 184LC with a reversed pinout.

You can try http://www.electronicpool.de/ a good place for hard to find obsolete parts.

Good luck

Attachments

• 01E2A3A1-4A01-4816-8735-956B1EE21913.jpeg
    01E2A3A1-4A01-4816-8735-956B1EE21913.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 46
ToBSn said:
You can never be sure about these Chinese Ebay items.

Bought some „jfets“ a while back and got pnp's with Fairchild fake markings.  :eek:
Get a transistor tester from ebay.  Also from China. :D

Good for a quick test.

On the photo these are genuine fairchild 184LC with a reversed pinout.

You can try http://www.electronicpool.de/ a good place for hard to find obsolete parts.

Good luck

Hi,
Yes, lots of fake transistors out there, i bought mine from a UK ebay store, they were cheap, i should have guessed!

I have been looking to buy a transistor tester, ill give it a try.

Thank you for all the help.
Kind regards,
Pedro.

Hello Pedro,
last time I searched for BC184C the market was pretty drained.
I still have a few spares from older Neve projects I did, I could give you a few, but you need much more than what I have.

I started to use MPSA18 in all Neve projects, it's a great replacement, sounds great and the HFE is more consistent.
In case you are doing Neve related projects and because you need so many I really would advise you to use the MPSA18

Regards
Tiago

Whoops said:
Hello Pedro,
last time I searched for BC184C the market was pretty drained.
I still have a few spares from older Neve projects I did, I could give you a few, but you need much more than what I have.

I started to use MPSA18 in all Neve projects, it's a great replacement, sounds great and the HFE is more consistent.
In case you are doing Neve related projects and because you need so many I really would advise you to use the MPSA18

Regards
Tiago

Yes, MPSA18 is a great sub.  I got a bag of 200 and they are all over 700 and some over 800 hfe.  Much more consistent than even the genuine 184C I have tested.  You can use 500/549/547 too, but they are harder to get with high gfe.  The 547 I have gotten have been in the low 700's, but they are "technically" not low noise, though they will work just fine.

Category 5 said:
Yes, MPSA18 is a great sub.  I got a bag of 200 and they are all over 700 and some over 800 hfe.  Much more consistent than even the genuine 184C I have tested.  You can use 500/549/547 too, but they are harder to get with high gfe.  The 547 I have gotten have been in the low 700's, but they are "technically" not low noise, though they will work just fine.

Just a note that you don't need "high HFE", the transistors used by Neve were in the 350-600 range, most in the 400-500.
A note also that Neve didn't select transistors for HFE, it used the next in the bag for each position

Hi people,

Thank you Tiago  and cat5for the offer and info.

I'm going to try out the MPSA18 if i can't get a hold on the BC184's.

Many thanks for the help.

Kind regards,
Pedro.

Those fake BC184C could be re-silked/re branded BC549c/560c which are significantly cheaper than the nos parts and would make them perfectly suitable for Neve builds since they are also low noise transistors. However , you would need to test them to make sure. example beta gain , as mentioned should be confirmed as well as leaky junctions. It is very common for China distributors to re-silk the parts , but a thorough examination of the part is in order, before use.

I bought a box of 1000 from Mouser when they were selling out the stock years ago.
These are Fairchild BC184C, 100% real

I don't really need to keep all of these so PM offers and how many you need. I can only do USA shipping right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_140208b.jpg
    IMG_20200619_140208b.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 22
Shipping in USA I can print a label at home and set out for pickup.
International shipping I need to drive to a post office, wait in line, fill out custom forms.

TME have some in stock.
Also the complementary pnps.

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bc184c-cdi/npn-tht-transistors/cdil/bc184c/

https://www.tme.eu/en/details/bc214c-cdi/pnp-tht-transistors/cdil/bc214c/

Thank you people for the offers,
Already bought a bunch from a member of this forum.
Many thanks.
Stay safe,
Cheers.

dmp said:
Shipping in USA I can print a label at home and set out for pickup.
International shipping I need to drive to a post office, wait in line, fill out custom forms.

I am having the same issue trying to send a capsule back to Denmark.  IMpossible to ship from home except FedEx, which is $178!!!!

Sent you a PM DMP.  I am in Florida and would love some of those Fairchild if you can spare.

Hi everybody.

Same here, I'm trying to find Fairchild BC184C!
But I'm not in the USA, I'm in France...
If someone has some I can buy, PM me.
Thanks.

Back