Driving 600 ohm 1:1 output transformer with OPA2134 or LME49720

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elskardio

Hi Guys,
anyone has real test results using the OPA2134 or the LME49720 to drive a 600 ohm 1:1 output transformer?
Both data sheets mention that it can "drive easily 600 ohm load", but how do they perform at full output swing?
I'm planning to use a simple line driver like the following schematic:
line-driver.png

Any hint would be appreciated.
Thanks and stay safe ;)

Implementation will affect the final outcome. As a starting point there is some excellent info in this opamp distortion pdf.

https://www.nanovolt.ch/resources/ic_opamps/

> "drive easily 600 ohm load", but how do they perform at full output swing?

As said: in the Data Sheet.

Getting 14.14V peaks with 15V supplies at 0.01% THD is not very shameful. Drops off real fast at 12V peak (8.5Vrms). To my mind/ear, 0.0001% THD is fantasy, meaningless.

Attachments

• Fig5-42.gif
    Fig5-42.gif
    36.5 KB · Views: 26
depends on what is really attached to the secondary, rare to see audio gear with a 600 ohm load unless it is vintage like a Pultec EQP or something like that,

and what kind of transformer? a steel core will probably take more current to excite than a 50/50 nickel core,

john12ax7 said:
Implementation will affect the final outcome. As a starting point there is some excellent info in this opamp distortion pdf.

https://www.nanovolt.ch/resources/ic_opamps/

Wow! a lot of great info indeed. Thanks

CJ said:
depends on what is really attached to the secondary, rare to see audio gear with a 600 ohm load unless it is vintage like a Pultec EQP or something like that,

This will be at the output of a mic preamp. With more and more vintage equipment clones out there, I want to make sure it performs well at 600 ohm.

CJ said:
and what kind of transformer? a steel core will probably take more current to excite than a 50/50 nickel core,

I bought a batch of vintage Jensen steel core transformer and I'm planning to use them for this project. Maybe I should add a current buffer at the output of the opamp?

It will be just fine. I have a Behringer distribution amp driving a pair of Edcor XMS 600:600 on the input of my reference amp and it sounds dam great if you ask me.  None of that saturated sound either.

Back