Cheap MP1584 Buck Converter board from eBay - anyone tried these?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackmonkey

GDIY Supporter
Ran across this recently and am curious if anyone has used one of the many ebay prebuilt boards built around the MP1584 buck converter.  Seems like a convenient bolt-in solution for powering indicator lamps/LEDs/vactrols etc from 24V rails, or from the +15V rail of a bipolar supply. I’ve always used either voltage dividers or a protoboard circuit w/LM2596 depending on application.

5 boards for ~$6 ain’t bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-MP1584-3A-Adjustable-DC-Step-Down-Converter-Buck-Module-3-3V-5V-9V-12V-24V/132416728307?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

MP1584 datasheet:

https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/mp1584.html

quiescent current and ripple look good enough for any application you might want to throw at it. Switching frequency is >1MHz, which is high enough to easily filter out or even ignore in some cases.

Found some for sale on Mouser under the brand Seeed Studio, mfr. # 106990005. $4.50. Or a similar from DFRobot, Mfr. #:
DFR0570 for $3.13.

Just singles. But the board is clearly the same one. 

Also noticed mouser says that chip is NRND.

The switching frequency is resistor preset to about 900khz.

The inductor and output cap appear to be set up ideally for a low output voltage (<5V), whereas operation at 5-12V may show some non-ideal behaviour unless the inductor size is increased.

trobbins said:
The switching frequency is resistor preset to about 900khz.

The inductor and output cap appear to be set up ideally for a low output voltage (<5V), whereas operation at 5-12V may show some non-ideal behaviour unless the inductor size is increased.

Good catch. Thanks. Predictable I guess.  i ordered a batch to play with and will post some test results pre and post any changes I make.

cheers

Back