UTC LS-51

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone have an LS-51 around they can measure up for Ceej?

Really curious about the lam material. Cobalt imparts a copper hue a lot like that to alloys. Just look at the color of a cobalt alloy drill bit intended for metal boring.  Manganese has a coppery color by itself, but isn’t that obvious in common alloys (I’m thinking aluminum like 3000 series alloys). Wonder if cobalt is what gives them that look?

CJ said:
Doug, do you still have your LS-51?

If so could you measure DCR for both primaries?  Thanks!  cj

I've got few of them, but not easy to get to.  I think I posted that info in one of the comprehensive transformer spec threads, Ian's perhaps? 

thanks Shabtek! that is what i got, 1,045 ohms,

we had to compute the coef. of inductance as this lam was not in the book.

after we get the inductance constant , we can get the permeability  of the core material.

note that the turns ratio would indicate that this transformer is closer to 44K to 600 ohms instead of 30K,  so catalog specs do not always match reality, and this is more common than you would think.

and 24 dbm is really pushing it, as that spec appears to be taken at the saturation point of the core.  (12 KG for most 50/50 alloy)

Latest posts

Back