RCA BE-100 Presence bandwith

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syn

Like this eq,  very much, extra big bottom, very dirty and grainy,  very  interesting presence  control, only if, the presence bandwidth could be wider - pretty narrow it is now. Is there a way to broaden presence bandwidth?

Thank you

Attachments

• RCA be-100-2eq.jpg
    RCA be-100-2eq.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 40
I'm glad someone else is having fun with these.  I had one, I think Chris at Preservation Sound had one on his website a while ago.  They are not amazing eqs, but worth setting up and playing around with.  I'd be interested in any new findings.

Yes, the lows are among boomiest , really deep and low,  but with  punch and attack,  and presence  actually acts more like synth filter than mid band eq, full of character very dense sound. Hi band  I don't care for , nothing interesting there for me.

syn said:
Like this eq,  very much, extra big bottom, very dirty and grainy,  very  interesting presence  control, only if, the presence bandwidth could be wider - pretty narrow it is now. Is there a way to broaden presence bandwidth?
Is it really that narrow? I see  a BW of 3.3 octaves. Has the unit been modded? Can you trace the actual frequency response?

No, it has not been modded.  There is a certain "telephone line" quality  to the sound that I came to associate with  a narrow bandwidth setting to the mid range , but I might be wrong. Also all the pots are original but they seem to put all the action towards the max setting (fully right) like pot law is not ideal. Will try to trace later tody.

Abbey,  thanks for looking into this

max boost around 1k RMAA  shows like this.
I played some more with the eq and I'm more and more convinced that this is actually  inadequate pot law problem,  almost nothing happens up to max  boost and it is suddenly maxed out, hence peaky quality.

All pots are original and LIN law

Attachments

• rca100.jpg
    rca100.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts

Back