Pot Shaft Adapter (axis adapters)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardus

WILL SOLDER FOR FOOD
No longer in NY and below the Mason Dixon line.
I saw these mentioned in another thread, and I need some of these. They adapt 4mm pot shafts to 1/4 inch (6.35mm).

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Axis-Converter-6-3mm-4mm.html

Does anyone happen to know of another supplier for these? Hopefully in the states?

I actually ordered 50 of these from Banzai but their postal service was having issues sending to the US so the pkg got returned to them, and no one seems to know if and when they will be able to ship these to me.

I'm interested as well of the options out there.  Having more suppliers of shaft adapters would be great for everyone.

Iirc small bear electronics might have some.

They have this, but pretty sure it wouldn't work:

http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcommerce.com/knob-shaft-adapter-1-4-to-1-8/

MAYBE they would work if you reamed the inside to 4 mm. Might be worth ordering a few to test. But man, that price from Banzai is hard to beat, and those are what I would have designed in my head if you described the product to me.

Thats TE Connectivity KR-104. I've used those with success. You want KR-304. Google "KR304 adapter". It's around.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/418/NG_CD_1825620_A1-679015.pdf

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32857462555.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.59694a44vpBLTF&algo_pvid=afb00b76-2899-49ce-a77c-592223bb6609&algo_expid=afb00b76-2899-49ce-a77c-592223bb6609-23&btsid=0ab50f6115920030399674625e743a&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I have a guy that makes these in custom sizes for me for $5 for a couple if I  recall right. I had him make me some to build my own dual concentric switches for EQs.

Nice guy and makes them/ships them quick.

Let me know if you want his info.

rackmonkey said:
I have a guy that makes these in custom sizes for me for $5 for a couple if I  recall right. I had him make me some to build my own dual concentric switches for EQs.

Nice guy and makes them/ships them quick.

Let me know if you want his info.

That's a little pricey for my wallet right now. But I'll let you know if I want his info in the future.

Ricardus said:
So the bad news is I wasn't able to get those KR304's to work, and still no word from Banzai if they will ever ship the other units.
Just curious but what exactly went wrong with the KR304s?

squarewave said:
Just curious but what exactly went wrong with the KR304s?

The problem is these are D Shafts, and I thought  I would be able to put a shim in that space and these would work, but I couldn't get it to work.

I think the ones from Banzai will work because that adapter is nearly a full circle, and for reasons I see in my head that are too complicated to explain (words are hard) they should work better.

The adapter has a cut-away for the set screw to reach the flatted part of the shaft so you might need a longer set screw but there's not supposed to be a shim there.

Ricardus said:
Well there's going to have to be, because 3 out of the 4 pots are center dentented and nothing lines up with the pointer line on the knobs.
I see. But it sounds like the problem is actually the orientation of the pot and not the adapter.

I had a similar problem with my Pultec HLF3C PCB. I had to actually change the circuit to use switch positions that spanned the end of the throw and install the stop in an unconventional position just to get the pointer centered vertically. Surprisingly the PCB actually turned out to be correct.

squarewave said:
I see. But it sounds like the problem is actually the orientation of the pot and not the adapter.

I had a similar problem with my Pultec HLF3C PCB. I had to actually change the circuit to use switch positions that spanned the end of the throw and install the stop in an unconventional position just to get the pointer centered vertically. Surprisingly the PCB actually turned out to be correct.

It's 500 series so I have absolutely no choice on pot orientation unless I do something extreme.

I'm just going to need to find some other sort of work-around.

You can get pots where the flat is in different positions,  basically the four quadrants.  You can also get knobs like this as well.  So that can be a workaround. But not always easy to find in small quantities.

Back