Why aren't there more multipattern LDC heads for SDCs?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icantthinkofaname

Is the design of the head for the UM70 hard to make? I'm just wondering why Oktava and Joly didn't do something similar when they both made (still make in Oktava's case) large capsule heads for the MK-012.

Obviously the simple answer is that companies don't want to make them, but I'm more interested in the technical aspects of why it wasn't done. Patents issues? Difficult to manufacture?

What in the design of the UM70 capsule make you interested of it?

The UM70 is basically the head of the earlier UM57 microphone. The capsule assembly  (M7, capsule holder and the bottom plate) is the same, they just designed a new slanted head basket and a bottom part with a pattern switch and a receptable for the (then) new transistorised mic bodies of the SMS-70 system. (that was based on the M582).

The Gefell 692 has + and - capsule voltages for multpattern
SD often only have one charge voltage for cardiod and maybe omni

Sredna said:
What in the design of the UM70 capsule make you interested of it?

The UM70 is basically the head of the earlier UM57 microphone. The capsule assembly  (M7, capsule holder and the bottom plate) is the same, they just designed a new slanted head basket and a bottom part with a pattern switch and a receptable for the (then) new transistorised mic bodies of the SMS-70 system. (that was based on the M582).
I think it's just a very interesting concept and I think it'd be nice as a way to have a low profile multipattern mic with a large capsule.

Latest posts

Back