The upload folder is full.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tend to agree with moamps. There's a lot of threads that can't serve it's original purpose since all photos are gone after external sites went down.

What about having paid part of the forum and free part? Maybe having build threads of complete projects in the paying part and the rest in free part. Or maybe some exclusive area with new projects that go into free area after one year. Or something like that. Just kicking ideas here...

What are the numbers anyway? Are we talking of hundreds or thousands of dollars/euros per year to maintain enough storage? How much do we have to raise per year?

:)

Luka

I realize the Moderators do not administer the server. It does not look good that nobody seems to be in touch with the administrator.

I realize that Doug is an experienced Pro and has committed to keeping his image-hosting server running (forever?). However dilettantes like me only seem to get 3 to  23 years out of a server before they sink. Keeping the file (or copy) WITH the discussion seems obvious to me, and to some other forums. I'm not sure why _I_ should "commit" to hosting file that _I_ have; if it has value to others then let them share a commitment.

I too am greatly annoyed when a file clogs my internet and blows-up my widescreen monitor and scares the dog... and it is dim and fuzzy and far over-size for little information. But that is NOT today's complaint.

Now that I have had mocking argument from one, and push-back from multiple contributors, I will just remove post #1 here and go mow the lawn.

PRR said:
It does not look good that nobody seems to be in touch with the administrator.

I realize that Doug is an experienced Pro and has committed to keeping his image-hosting server running (forever?).

I think those two sentences encapsulate the crapshoot nature of the idea that ANYTHING on the interwebs will stick around.    Will this site vanish before my storage?  Or the other way around?  Flip a coin.

The storage must be paid for somehow.  Paying to be here is the 'convenient' thing, that's what people always want, convenience.  People complain about the ads. 

Agree with Volker that oversized images that should be resized appropriately are a scourge.  If someone wants help and uploads an oversized image, they're making the viewer do the work, what with the hoop jumping required to see it.  People are more likely to breeze by something that's 70-90% off-screen, and not bother.    It's more data than required, and also wasted if viewers don't/can't do the work to see it.  But what's the answer to that?  Off-site hosting tends to give sizing options for links, solves the one problem.  Or is there any auto-sizing plugin that works sufficiently well with the format of this site? 

More complaining about free sh__ on the interwebs.

I have probably shared too much about Ethan's presence or not... forget I said that... He has a life and his own issues.

I am impressed with how much he has accomplished to hold this crazy train together and on track.

He has fixed every complaint so far, so we are apparently complaining about it taking a few days?  It's probably a minor tweak like every other time. Try to be a little more patient.

===
My comment about people copying EMRR was the forthcoming donation, I don't much care about hosting***.

JR

**** I was disappointed when  "Prof Sound's drum tuning Bible" went broken links... I never found out the whole story (I suspect he is taking the dirt nap we all will).  I found a copy of the bible and hosted it on my website.  Hopefully after I join Prof Sound, other's will host his and maybe a few of my musings for posterity.

I could cobble together a large storage zfs nas box and host images via ftp, but I have too much on my plate these next few months to build it right now.

If the problem isn't solved by the end of the year, I'll come back to it with something, however I too could not guarantee 100% uptime, since it would be local and not cloud based, but it would fix the issue of limited share size.

If Ethan's hosting locally, that's mighty kind, but fairly oldschool. Making small donations mandatory per year, per person would certainly let him add some HD's or adjust settings to create more share space.

Cloud solutions:
Dropbox business accounts have paid hosting that is fairly inexpensive which I like because it is tailored for group sharing; folders can be administered, shared, contributed-to but locked from deletion, other folders can be created to host files that can be updated and/or rev-chained via group members, restricted at the individual or group level, or left wide open.

Also if we went subscription, it costs as little as $4 a month to create a droplet or use google cloud services and build a VM file server with storage space big enough to host gdiy photos. This would of course have 100% uptime so long as the bill gets paid, and that bill would be small since bandwidth would not be huge-- this community by nature doesn't have a per-person need to repeatedly or perpetually pull down from the server the same photos every week.

Below is a pdf link to cloud server comparison with a bias towards Tresorit (who created the chart) but it still has some good info:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dkubod4abffx4sh/Tresorit%20Cloud%20Vendor%20Comparison%20Table%20for%20Business.pdf?dl=1

just buy a bunch of sandisk usb sticks and hire somebody to plug them in when needed.

or hack the Facebook server for space, they must have a ton of storage,

Audio karma forum has auto resize to 800 x 600, copy their code.

boji said:
Cloud solutions:
Dropbox business accounts have paid hosting that is fairly inexpensive which I like because it is tailored for group sharing; folders can be administered, shared, contributed-to but locked from deletion, other folders can be created to host files that can be updated and/or rev-chained via group members, restricted at the individual or group level, or left wide open.

i would stay away from drop box. they have LIMIT on NUMBER OF FILES could be stored.
i opened up business account with them couple of years ago,
i started to upload my files,
total size of my files were about 1/3 of the storage i purchased, and half way  through
my upload i had error ;
"I reached to number of files i could upload" not the size!!!
i cancelled it immediately... that limit on number of files not documented anywhere in their web.

I have been through this with clients of mine through my old day gig for years. There’s really no reason this forum can’t have it’s own dedicated storage these days. Web storage is dirt cheap in today’s world - unlike 10 or 15 years ago. We could get a terabyte of storage on Wasabii for $71 per YEAR (assuming about 20% of the total stored is downloaded each month) or about $300 per year on Amazon S3. I donate $120 a year to GDIY by MYSELF.

The only reason we’re having this debate is that folks here just don’t know how cheap this stuff has become. It’s nuts that we haven’t updated with the times.

Happy to work with Ethan to evaluate the options, if he gets the message any time soon.

rackmonkey said:
I have been through this with clients of mine through my old day gig for years. There’s really no reason this forum can’t have it’s own dedicated storage these days. Web storage is dirt cheap in today’s world - unlike 10 or 15 years ago. We could get a terabyte of storage on Wasabii for $71 per YEAR (assuming about 20% of the total stored is downloaded each month) or about $300 per year on Amazon S3. I donate $120 a year to GDIY by MYSELF.

The only reason we’re having this debate is that folks here just don’t know how cheap this stuff has become. It’s nuts that we haven’t updated with the times.
No.. the only reason you all are debating this, is because of making ASSumptions, in the absence of explanation from Ethan...  I suspect it was changing a setting, but I am speculating too. 
Happy to work with Ethan to evaluate the options, if he gets the message any time soon.

I have probably already shared too much...  I just take out the trash around here.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
No.. the only reason you all are debating this, is because of making ASSumptions, in the absence of explanation from Ethan... I suspect it was changing a setting, but I am speculating too.

I’m not speculating on why people are getting the message at all. I’m talking about the bigger issue we’ve dealt with for years - that we don’t host our own uploads beyond 2 MB in size, prompting folks to have to use external sites to host the bigger stuff. (And running us up against the limits of smallish storage capacity to keep hosting costs down - speculation on that particular piece of this, admittedly. But I would bet that’s what happened. But I digress).

That offsite storage decision was made at time when web storage was expensive, and it made sense at the time. But times have changed and storage is cheap now. There’s no reason to require off-site hosting of large files anymore, with all the challenges that entails (all well documented in this thread).  Not when we can host them ourselves for less money than a single member donates in a year.

Paul was right in what he wrote here.

External hosting can disappear at any moment like others said, and actually it happened already at least 3 times since I'm here and made some threads completely useless.

Like Paul said, other forums improved over the years and have this capability.

Paul was correct also in the other remarks.

It's a shame that because of this thread we lost this great member and it's a shame also that no one did anything about it, while other forums "Praise PRR" people here just ignored that one of the most valuable members of GroupDIY was upset.

"In Praise of PRR thread at diystompboxes"
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=95645.0
This forum got updated now and modernised, and of course we can copy multiple photos into a post and even resize them. Yes it makes senses, yes Paul was right.

I sent a message to Paul in another forum some months ago asking how he was, and sent him another message today asking him to join us again.
Here is my message:

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Hello Paul,
I'm a member in the GroupDIY forum
I sent you a message some months ago.

Just to let you know, that to me personally your posts in the different forums you're a member are always valuable and highly helpful contributions.
I learned a lot with you over the years and you helped me out also countless of times.
Saying this, I'm not the only person to think this way, actually anyone I know from GroupDIY or other forums (Freestompboxes, EL34world,DIYaudio) keeps you in high regard and values your contributions and praises you.

I'm really sorry for your last thread in GroupDIY, and I'm sorry some remarks by some members, I think you were right in what you wrote.
Again like myself other people think the same.
As a GroupDIY forum member I would like to apologize for that.

At the moment the forum got a new engine, a lot of nice changes are happening, there's a new person helping out improving the forum.
As a side note we can even copy pictures to a post now and resize them right in the post.

I would like to ask you to if you could give us the honor of having you back in GroupDIY, you will be welcome.
Please consider that.

Thank you so much,
Wish you all good

My best Regards

Tiago

Back