• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

UK: Possible Revox A77 deal

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I have two non-functional Revox A77 tape recorders. One is a high speed version (7.5/15ips) and the other is a regular speed one. Here is the deal. I want the high speed one in working order to play some old tapes. Anyone who can repair the high speed one can have the  regular speed one in exchange. And to sweeten the deal, the regular one is the one that was used for playing music in the R&D lab at Neve back in the 70s.

I got the high speed one going a few years back but last time I tried it it emitted smoke.

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian, I hope it works out. I would help but am in Canada, so logistically, not feasible.

I have my own A77 on my bench this week getting an overhaul.

(here, she is looking very mechanical with the front cover removed

...lovely machines...

Attachments

• DSC00018.jpg
    DSC00018.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
Both of mine have been sitting under my bench for a few years now. However, someone contacted me to say smoke can often be caused by a cap on the mains side used to stop thump. If that turns out to be the case it could be an easy fix. The high speed one was working fine for several years until I got side tracked building tube mixers  :D

Cheers

Ian

Ian

I think the A77 is a prime candidate for recapping. Last time I looked there was someone on eBay selling cap kits for Revoxes

Do you have a line-up tape or a tape with tones on?

Nick Froome

pvision said:
Ian

I think the A77 is a prime candidate for recapping. Last time I looked there was someone on eBay selling cap kits for Revoxes

Do you have a line-up tape or a tape with tones on?

Nick Froome

I think you are right. Yes, I have a proper 15 ips line up tape and a head demag. The only cap kit I can find on eBay is for just the plug in amps. Nothing for the bigger ones in the PSU and so on.

Cheers

Ian

Back