Resotune II

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boji

I just got one and listened to it find the resonant frequency of my floor tom.  Absolutely F*** brilliant to see/hear it in action. 

aaaaaaha, finally u got one too  8)
isnt the coolest tool  :)
i love mine

John - have you had any Resotune customers report using it on banjo? I play tenor and am not great at finding the right head tension, so every time I read about the Resotune I do get curious...

TwentyTrees said:
John - have you had any Resotune customers report using it on banjo? I play tenor and am not great at finding the right head tension, so every time I read about the Resotune I do get curious...
No, not that I am aware of...  I just looked at a video using DrumDial (measures head tension from deflection) and that seems practical for banjo.

Resotune relies upon a typical configuration and lug spacing around drumheads. With the strings removed it could measure the head resonance of a banjo, but the tension rods are so closely spaced I am doubtful I could isolate each for individual clearing. Resotune isolates lugs for one at a time measurements by bracketing the lugs with the two down facing speakers that acoustically couple to the drum head.  The banjo tension adjustments are spaced too close together for one at a time adjustments.

I would suggest trying the DrumDial, that should get you pretty close.

For today's TMI Steve Fischer owner/inventor of DrumDial uses RESOTUNE to tune his personal tympani. He is a long time customer who owned the first generation RESOTUNE also.
IMG_0107-1024x768.jpg

JR

Just wanted to say thank you to the several GDIY forum members who supported RESOTUNE over the last 15 years. I am finally shutting down this unintentional non-profit. Sadly drummers would still prefer to buy a new cymbal than get their lugs in perfect tune with each other.

I will continue warranty support for a few more years but these don't fail so that will be easy. When the current inventory is gone (very soon) that will be it. No more production is planned.

Thank you

JR

Sad to hear it, I guess it's inevitable.  I hope someone comes along to take it up again.  I've barely explored the possibilities of it, but even knowing little, or forgetting the details if I don't touch it for a long time, I can make the crappiest drums that come in the studio sound infinitely better in very little time. 

Buying another now!  It'll be used! 

EmRR said:
Sad to hear it, I guess it's inevitable.  I hope someone comes along to take it up again.  I've barely explored the possibilities of it, but even knowing little, or forgetting the details if I don't touch it for a long time, I can make the crappiest drums that come in the studio sound infinitely better in very little time. 

Buying another now!  It'll be used!
You got the last one....

JR

Man am I glad I got one over the weekend! I had no idea you were so close to being sold out on these.

It arrived this evening. I tuned my new kit two different ways in a couple hours tonight. The toms sound awesome but I've never heard a bass drum be completely in tune with itself. Also was able to take the moon gel off the snare.

p.s. ALSO got a new cymbal today, but I bought the resotune first ...  ;D

JohnRoberts said:
You got the last one....

JR

Wait... What? No! Nothing like a little warning! Maybe I missed it?  I’d buy one now! Would have already, but figured I would when I got back into recording drums again on a regular basis again.

The efficient run quantity is something like 250 units, which is a significant financial investment in inventory. I already did some ground work on a next generation DSP based tuner that was faster and hipper with a richer display BUT drummers are already unwilling to pay a price that would support the current model let alone an improved higher tech version.

I have been selling these tuners for 15 years. Sorry if my finally closing up shop is inconvenient. I proved that my invention works and even abandoned paying maintenance on my patent a few years ago, so the technology is now public domain and free to use. 

I may be able to scrape together a few cosmetic rejects but I am out of several key components to build more. So this is pretty much it. 

JR

PS: please don't PM me expecting some special treatment.

Recording Engineer said:
I’ll snatch if that’s absolutely the best I’m gonna get for sure. John?
I just looked and that is a RESOTUNE I not the current model.

My advice is do not buy that version. I was only charging $95 for new RESOTUNE II but that was my EOL blow out price.

If you can find a used RESOTUNE II we can upgrade the software to the current standard (Rev F) for a flat fee $25 that includes new batteries and return shipping domestically.

Good Luck

JR

Latest posts

Back