Weird oscillating white noise in speakers....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurango

Really odd issue, these speakers oscillate noise at a few hz/sec. Sounds like white noise running through a tremolo effect. Any idea what would cause this? First thought was caps, but wouldn't that usually manifest as 60 or 120 hum? Perhaps an issue with the SMPS? Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=UwILZnVWz50&feature=emb_title

How the hell are we supposed to hear anything on that clip? I had to put it into Audacity and gain it up.
So, what faultfinding have you done? Unplug the speakers from their source to determine if it is the speakers?
We cant help you if you only give us the minimum of information.

radardoug said:
How the hell are we supposed to hear anything on that clip? I had to put it into Audacity and gain it up.
So, what faultfinding have you done? Unplug the speakers from their source to determine if it is the speakers?
We cant help you if you only give us the minimum of information.

Volume was fine for me. Bldg has known good power @ 123v. Still, tried multiple circuits, power and audio cables. No dice. They still sound good when pushing audio.

radardoug said:
You still didn't say whether they were quiet with no input cables connected.

Sorry, they are not. Even with no cables connected, they still exhibit a weird oscillating "white noise".

pucho812 said:
o.k. so we isolated it to the speakers. what kind of speakers are they?

Equator D5's. They use a coaxial driver.....not sure on amp design but I would guess class D powered by SMPS. They are unfortunately discontinued, so no mfg support or parts. Doubt schems are available. With anything that oscillates like that, I'm inclined to think it's a capacitor issue, but that could be an oversimplification.

Latest posts

Back