Desperate times...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdurango

I really need to fix this fatar keybed for Nord Stage classic/original (can't find replacement or supplier anywhere). Seems to be an issue with the contacts itself. Tested rubber strips on other PCB and they work. Cleaned PCB, applied Stabilant 22, no dice. Cleaned again, no dice.

Should I try a thin coat of conductive paint? Any other suggestions to bring this back to life? Problem started with a few keys then grew out. Now almost entire PCB is dead. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20200622_203652.jpg
    20200622_203652.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 25
user 37518 said:
Cut aluminum tape in the shape of the contacts and just stick it on the contact, works like a charm! got this tip from a keyboard repair technician.

https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Tape-Foil-Professional-Contractor-Grade/dp/B01FROBUXE

That should be enough tape for a life time of repairs.

LOL seriously? Wow.....I guess it makes sense! I'd imagine the adhesive could cause issues. I'll see if I can find some kind of conductive adhesive. Anyway, great solution! Thanks!!

jdurango said:
LOL seriously? Wow.....I guess it makes sense! I'd imagine the adhesive could cause issues. I'll see if I can find some kind of conductive adhesive. Anyway, great solution! Thanks!!

Use it on the rubber side not on the PCB side.

Okay, but here's the strange thing, the rubber portion doesn't seem to be the issue. I'll double check, but using a known good rubber strip (works elsewhere) on known bad notes doesn't fix the problem. I will still give it a shot, but I think there's something more going on.

Nord tech support said that beyond the key matrix is a calibration chip. Supposedly each keybed is individually calibrated and programmed via the chip. Any changes (I'm guessing resistance?) could affect the calibration. They recommended a whole new keybed, which is like $500!! Ouch! Might have to just bite the bullet and buy it, but man, it'd be REEEEEALLY nice if some cheap foil, a hole punch and some glue did the trick!

Might be a long shot, but is there any damage to the pcb traces leading from the key contact points?  I've had issues with that in the past--admittedly with a horribly abused keyboard, so maybe it's not that likely in your case.

jdurango said:
Nord tech support said that beyond the key matrix is a calibration chip. Supposedly each keybed is individually calibrated and programmed via the chip. Any changes (I'm guessing resistance?) could affect the calibration. They recommended a whole new keybed, which is like $500!! Ouch! Might have to just bite the bullet and buy it, but man, it'd be REEEEEALLY nice if some cheap foil, a hole punch and some glue did the trick!

try it on some contacts, if it works works, if not, then buy the whole thing.

There is a diode matrix on old keyboards that may have a diode failure.

the aluminum tape idea is definitely worth trying.  Thanks Dflip.

Back