online store cheats!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kambo

some online stores replacing original product picture with photoshopped
version of them to cover/mask the actual product/model number and look of the product.. and some promises! this works etc etc!

so, i bought a specific glue online,  whole bottle was covered with the online store  company logo,
and the packet arrived finally... when i opened it
its actually regular Loctite 495 in its original packing, and i paid way more than what i would normally pay!

is it legal to cheat like this in US ?

pucho812 said:
I would talk to their customer service about it

that aint gona solve anything.
they just gonna say sorry, and happy to refund/return etc bla bla.. and my return fee would be additional $10!..
they know that too... they are taking advantage...

googled but, i think i am not wording it correctly, so couldnt find anything....

Contact your state attorney general office and see what they suggest.  Mention your SAG to the vendor, if you discuss anything with them. 

kambo said:
some online stores replacing original product picture with photoshopped
version of them to cover/mask the actual product/model number and look of the product.. and some promises! this works etc etc!

so, i bought a specific glue online,  whole bottle was covered with the online store  company logo,
and the packet arrived finally... when i opened it
its actually regular Loctite 495 in its original packing, and i paid way more than what i would normally pay!

is it legal to cheat like this in US ?
Caveat emptor...  If widespread there may be a class action possibility, these days the regulators are looking into large e-commerce sites stealing data from smaller merchants to copy their most successful skus with private label versions.
====
I have seen e-commerce sites mix up images for SKUs... a couple years ago I purchased a shovel based on the picture from wally world's website, and I didn't get what I wanted... I returned it to the bricks and mortar store.
===
when I ordered chinese masks from  amazon, the website image clearly shows a 95% marking.....  the actual mask packaging makes no such claim. In fact the actual packaging has a dander/dust logo with a strike through suggesting it doesn't even block dander or fine dust particles.

JR

6177Yf0Z4hL._SL1500_.jpg

thank you all...
sounds like not totally legal what they are doing...
"private label versions" sounds the best wording for this!

they are on east coast, so this is a federal issue now :)))
i will contact local and federal offices, see what they say....

edit:  saved their page on wayback machine too :)))

You may be over reacting.... what was the fraud? You paid more than you should have for common loctite?

Look at how many phools pay way too much for funny speaker wire.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
You may be over reacting.... what was the fraud? You paid more than you should have for common loctite?

Look at how many phools pay way too much for funny speaker wire.

JR

I think you missed the point here.  If those audiophools ordered "Magic Audio brand SuperCable" and received Radio Shack 16ga Speaker Wire they would raise holy heck.

mjrippe said:
I think you missed the point here.  If those audiophools ordered "Magic Audio brand SuperCable" and received Radio Shack 16ga Speaker Wire they would raise holy heck.
+1

I once used cooker grade thick stranded double insulated cable for my speakers , I found that by twisting up the cores tight at either end they fitted perfectly into 4mm sockets on amp and speaker , not very flexible , but for domestic installation worked and sounded great . I used work in hifi for a while , I knew well the more cross sectional area of the cable the better it tended to sound ,anything they tell you beyond that is marketing .

Back