Standard of repairability

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm afraid that horse has already left the barn, but it is always interesting to see well intentioned bureaucrats try to legislate what they think should be.

I have watched the tension between hidden cost of easier reparability, and consumers unwillingness to pay more at time of purchase for some etherial future benefit.  Trust me, telling customers how easy your product is to repair, is tantamount to telling them your product will break.  ::)

I've shared this anecdote before, my product manager for loudspeakers while I was at Peavey had the impossible task of effectively communicating to novice customers the benefit of field replaceable speaker baskets. Experienced customers already understand, but novices don't want to be reminded that speakers break.

JR

PS: For years the Peavey CS series of power amps were well known for ease of repair.... but that was then. Increased market competition relegated repairability to a hidden feature that customers would no longer pay extra for.

I'm afraid that horse has already left the barn,

Thats the beauty of an old console thats modular.  Its the service ability of the thing.  How do you build a repairable say midi interface or bluetooth amp to hookup to speakers so you can play your iPhone library.  I have an omni interface with mic pres that both died because I unplugged a mic  while phantom was on.  Its a design flaw.

While I'm on the topic.  I have a New Sensor , Electro Harmonix 95000 Looper pedal.  Its got stereo inputs which phantom switch.  an 6 track looper with a stereo track for mix down or you can load wav files to build what ever you want.  Its a very cool piece of kit.  after 2 years it stopped playing back. No audio.    I sent an email requesting a RMA number and approximate cost.  They said describe the problem your having,  box up and ship it to New Sensor with a 25 dollar check and allow 5 weeks return.  They shipped it back in 3 week and its working great.    Now that is Service and value for a hard to repair item.  I am a big fan of New Sensor and will buy again from these people.  Three cheers you've won my loyalty.    :D

Each time you buy something you are voting with your wallet. Educating consumers on the  difference between the true cost of ownership vs just the initial cost might be a useful endeavor.

john12ax7 said:
Each time you buy something you are voting with your wallet. Educating consumers on the  difference between the true cost of ownership vs just the initial cost might be a useful endeavor.
In decades of dealing with consumers I never met one who actually wanted to be educated...  ::)

They do like being told that they are smart and made the right choice... 8)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
In decades of dealing with consumers I never met one who actually wanted to be educated...  ::)

I am always happy to take the time to educate my clients and tmost of the time they want to learn.  But then, I am fixing their broken gear, not selling them something new  ;D

mjrippe said:
I am always happy to take the time to educate my clients
me too
and tmost of the time they want to learn. 
Some say they do...    I have published a lot of my own research into drum behavior on my website and get precious few sensible questions. Most just want my tuner to be cheaper.
But then, I am fixing their broken gear, not selling them something new  ;D
People who fix things are rare and becoming rarer, despite what legislators desire.

JR

PS: OK for today's TMI apropos this topic, replacement parts arrived this morning and I just repaired my computer mouse whose left button went intermittent after too many cricks.  ::)  I was going to just replace the mouse with a new one ASSuming it would be too cheap to bother fixing, BUT the going web price seems like $7-$8 (ever notice how similar everybody's prices are... cookie based price fixing?). IMO 2x what a new mouse should cost.... Did I mention that I'm cheap..? I found the exact replacement tact switches in stock at DIGIKEY for $0.40 ea (their pictures really help, these were oddball tact switches). The 40 cents is probably more than they are worth too, and don't get me started on shipping cost for small parts orders (I combined several items to defray shipping cost). Long story shorter... mouse is now back in service and good as new.

Coincidentally this is my second tact switch based repair this year... the tact switches inside my slow cooker failed several months ago, but I blame myself for those failures. I built an insulated box for the slow cooker to operate inside, and the high humidity environment over time corrupted the tact switches.  Bye-bye hot box.  8)

Back