x

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From Wikipedia:
"In mathematics, x is commonly used as the name for an independent variable or unknown value.

On some identification documents, the letter X represents a non-binary gender, where F means female and M means male."

speaking of math.... I must be a nerd... I was watching a cheesy romcom movie  and some high school math club had a sign with pi listed out to tens of digits, I could tell from memory that they were wrong on the 3rd digit past the decimal point.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
speaking of math.... I must be a nerd... I was watching a cheesy romcom movie  and some high school math club had a sign with pi listed out to tens of digits, I could tell from memory that they were wrong on the 3rd digit past the decimal point.

JR
I only know 3.14159...

Seriously,  I wish I could stop compulsively entering  3.141592654  every single time I need pi.
I'll never get that time back. 
I know full well that it's  never made one  iota of difference  that I went the extra mile and yet...
I'm over it!

Winston O'Boogie said:
Seriously,  I wish I could stop compulsively entering  3.141592654  every single time I need pi.
I'll never get that time back. 
I know full well that it's  never made one  iota of difference  that I went the extra mile and yet...
I'm over it!

I don't use Pi, Pi is for mathematicians, I use 355/113

user 37518 said:
I don't use Pi, Pi is for mathematicians, I use 355/113
Why not 22/7? Close enough, and it's engraved in my brain since childhood.
Anyway, I almost never use Pi, when I have to I hit the Pi key on the calc.
For the rest, it's essentially mental calc, so I would use either a very approximate 3, or some workarounds, like knowing omega for 50Hz is 314, or 1k/1nF results in 1.59kHz.
Considering component tolerances, 3.14 or 3.14159 do not make any difference in analog circuitry.
An accurate Pi value is important only in digital filters.
Sorry for being serious.  ;)

Back