Display for Sony DPS V77

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot

Hey all,

I got Sony DPS V77 effects unit that has a problem with LCD display. I went to check what's going on and it is obvious that someone tried to pull apart the LCD and left it in a mess. Problem is that this display is on the board that also hosts six momentary switches and some ICs and that's Sony's proprietary part.
Obviously the easiest way to fix it is to replace it with new pcb. I can't find any on ebay/reverb or official Sony spare parts shop. Seems it's unobtainium. If anyone has it let me know I'd buy it!

Is there a way to fix the display? LCD has some sort of sticky tape from it's top going back to the pcb. This tape holds in place few dozens of hairline thick wires (or some sort of conductors) that got displaced when someone tried to lift the tape. Any tricks known how to fix this? I'm afraid to try to lift it anymore since it's so fragile.
When I press on that tape with a finger there's actually some fragments of display coming back to life. But it's impossible to have it stay correct.

What if I find only the display and try to replace it? What would be the procedure when replacing LCD displays? How do you disassemble it and assemble back the new one? Or that's not possible at all?

:)

Luka

I bought a DPS V77 with a bad display thinking that replacing the display would be easy, and then found out it was a Sony custom part. Doh! I ended up finding a much bigger display that showed the image three times, made a custom box, shifted the buttons below the screen on to it. Took a long time. I could probably dig out the notes for it. But not for the faint hearted! I ended up selling it to a guy who loves it!

Well that might also be the way I should consider.
If you can find your notes on how you did it that would be a great help! Please!

Heres the schematic for the required changes. Note the pictures were before I put the row of soft buttons on.

Attachments

• SonyDPSV77_Remote_Screen.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 34
I cant remember if I had to change the eprom code slightly. I did disassemble all the code to see how they did the LCD calls. If so, I will have that stuff somewhere.

Hi, I had missing lines on the display of my DPS-V77 and fixed it this morning successfully. The style of LCD in the V77 (which is different to other Sonys such as the HP5 - which uses a zebra stripe LCD connector system) requires that you use a soldering iron at around 300c with a 3mm (or similar) tip on the top part of the plastic ribbon running from the display pc board to the glass. Essentially what you need to do is reflow the very fine solder connections under the plastic and bind them to the connections on the display. The contacts in question (from memory) are on the top of the LCD unit at the rear (just before the cable folds over on to the main PC board). You obviously need to remove the faceplate to gain access, but this is very easy to do if you have taken apart studio gear before. Do not overheat the soldering iron and make sure you keep it moving. There is a very good video by a young guy on youtube showing how to fix this very same problem with a Nintendo Gameboy. You need to be patient. I ran my iron over the connections, continuously moving the iron (clean tip, no solder) gently for around ten minutes. If you are concentrating, you should be able to feel the iron running over the traces (although they are very fine). When I first plugged the LCD back in the five or six missing lines were still missing. Then after a few seconds the LCD kicked into action and each of the missing lines permanently disappeared and the display is perfect now. Note, I had the display completely disconnected while I was working on it (unlike the Gameboy repair guy). If you don't know what you're doing with electronics - get someone who is qualified to do the work. Happy to give some more advice if you think it would help. This is a very common problem on these types of displays from this era and can be fixed to get the V77 working like new again. It's an incredible FX machine and deserves to live on!

Latest posts

Back