Gus

laptop keyboard replacement
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:02:20 PM »
I was asked if I could replace a laptop  keyboard in a HP 14 ab1660

I have replaced laptop keyboards before(last time was about 10 years ago) however this one is different from what I have worked on in the past. Looking on the web It appears you need to disassemble most of the laptop (this is not that bad) to get to the keyboard.
The keyboard is held in place with plastic posts with the ends mushroomed over so the mushroomed part need to be cut away to remove the keyboard. The older way of snapping  the keyboard in place was easy.

In the videos I find, the step to fix the replacement keyboard in place does not show what was done to hold the keyboard in place, I can't tell if it was melted again or glue of some kind of fastener.

Has anyone replaced a keyboard like this? Is there some technique I have not found with searching?

I am asking because once I start the person will need the laptop working the same day, currently it is being used with an external  USB keyboard.

Looked on line at laptops and it appear a lot of laptops look to have the keyboards installed like this.

boji

Re: laptop keyboard replacement
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »
Some require you take the plastic top off which holds the keyboard flush.  Few screws on the underside frees it for replacement.

Likely M2 or M2.5

Gus

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:38:04 PM »
Some require you take the plastic top off which holds the keyboard flush.  Few screws on the underside frees it for replacement.

Likely M2 or M2.5
Thanks
This is even more than that you need to remove almost every thing
One of the youtube videos I found
Skip to about 12 mins in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDTWQIdJMuk
« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:21:03 PM by Gus »

cyrano

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »
Yep, that's today's style. Lots of work, lots of ways to screw up.

That's why Apple does a complete topcase replacement. It's cheaper. For Apple, of course.

The pile is still getting bigger and bigger...
Why is it people love to believe and hate to know?