JLM 99v

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundguy

I bought one of Joe's mic pre kits with his opamps a while back, Ive been putting it together in my bits of free time for the last several weeks and after a little ado, finished everything up tonight.

I went with a lundahl 1578 1:5 on the input, used two of joe's 99v opamps in a design he laid out feeding a 2503 1:1. Ive got the whole thing running at +/- 34 V using the jlm supply.

This may be a little bold to say, but I think this is the most insane mic pre I have ever heard in my life. Ive never heard a smooth midrange like this in my life without having to sacrifice lack of definition in the bottom end. This is BUTTER smooth in the mids and totally tight and solid in the bottom. I havent used it on a session yet, but I anticipate the high end rolling off nicely, I absolutely can not wait to use this on a drum kit. Once I got the grounding right, its SILENT. the noise floor with the gain full up is not at a noticable change from the gain all the way down... This thing is QUIET.

Certainly this will draw some obvious comparisons, but I have never heard anything do what this does. NOTHING. Im actually a little besides myself, I wasnt expecting to DIY something that completely trumps just about everything in my studio...

If you've been considering building one of these, by all means, get joe's 99v opamps for your kit. I cant say enough good about this. If you love the sound of your neve but hate the cloudy bottom, this is SOOOO the solution, its that idea, but perfected. Man, I thought I had heard silky mids until I heard this...

If class A had to have a sound in a dictionary, this should be it.

Try out joe's opamps, you might be shatteringly amazed.

dave

:grin: :grin: :grin:

yes ... I did say it would be worth the wait.
stay tuned for the new op-amp ... JLM99s

:shock:

oops !!
I might get into trouble for that.
I suspect later in the year Joe will officially release this.

diy, diy
happy, happy
DIY

I dont think you can servo the 99v. I built a dual 99v circuit, capacitor coupled. Ive listened to it on a bunch of stuff today, totally blown away.

dave

Kev, Joe has already mentioned the JLM99s in passing, so that cat was already un-bagged.

Joe says that to get the servo properly working with the 99v, you'd have a rolloff pretty high into the bass. I think he hinted that the 99s, or fpr that matter a JH990, should work much better with servo.

Bear

[quote author="Bear"]Kev, Joe has already mentioned the JLM99s in passing, so that cat was already un-bagged.[/quote]

oh ... excellent
that means I'm ok
:thumb:

I got a kit from joe curious to see what it sounded like with the parts he designed it around. He sent jamicon, hitano and elgen caps.

dual99v.jpg

I dont remember where I got the API knobs before anyone asks... I would love to find many more!

dave

[quote author="soundguy"]I dont remember where I got the API knobs before anyone asks[/quote]

too smart :grin:
i was right going to ask you exactly this :wink:

Latest posts

Back