DIY Aluminum chassis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnheath

Hi all...

Still thinking of the problem with a (very) aluminum chassis for a tube power amp that I want to mount in a 19" rack system.

I have realized that I probably need to build this myself and finding the sides, top, bottom and front plate won't a major issue but now I am looking for suitable aluminum profiles for the task.

So I throw it out here for advice's and suggestions. I have an idea to maybe use square 10mm profiles and drill and thread... would that be a proper solution.

Best regards

// John

johnheath said:
I have an idea to maybe use square 10mm profiles and drill and thread... would that be a proper solution.

That’s what I did when I needed a heavy chassis for a power supply. I joined the plates by drilling and tapping  1/2” aluminum bar stock and fastening to that.

..if you look at aliexpress for 2020 profile (or 3030, 4040 etc), you'll find a great variety of not only affordable alu profiles, but also all sorts of accessories for interconnecting these and mounting stuff onto them. 

But if it was me, I'd probably look into a 19" server rack - these are affordable and relatively common..

/Jakob E.

I second using Frank. His cases are great to work with and he can do the front and rear panels for you as well.

Cheers

IAn

I found these two pics in a book and I guess the solution could be a mix between the two?

Anybody knows if similar thing can be bought?

Best regards

// John

Attachments

• Power amp rack solutions.png
    Power amp rack solutions.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 24
You're still going to have to find a chassis you feel is strong enough....

But it's simply a chassis, faceplate and something like these

https://www.budind.com/view/Electronics+Enclosure+Brackets/Triangular+Mounting+Bracket

Thank you sir

I have found a 1U chassis that would be the "base" of the rack. It is the modushop slim line. I could just create a top lid in 3 or 4mm aluminum and mount all the stuff there. I am thinking that the side angles could be made out of steel sheet... bent to support the bottom and attach to the front plate which can be ordered online.

In my head I am moving towards the goal :)

Best regards

// John

johnheath said:
I am thinking that the side angles could be made out of steel sheet...

I have this one chassis, I think it was an old Gates , and I like the faceplate mounts used on it. It fastens to the sides ... like your pics

edit...
That is the front in the pic.......The Power button is one of those illuminated push button rectangle ones...

Attachments

• chassis mount1.jpg
    chassis mount1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34

Latest posts

Back