What would you do with an original U47 body?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captainate

Title says it all, minus some details. I may be able to acquire an original U47 body and shock mount for free or cheap, and wondered what options make the most sense before convincing the owner that it's better off in my hands. From what I can tell, the internal electronics have been stripped. I don't know if he's got them in a closet somewhere with the power supply... I haven't even brought it up yet. There may be an original capsule still inside but after 70 years I'm assuming that would need replacing along with the rest of the mic being re-built.

So... build a poctop D47 clone in it? Source another donor U47 for parts? Or leave it to die as a prop mic for an off brand singer?

If the electronics/pcb are donezo, 100% build Dan’s (poctops), D-U47. His builds are fun, educational, and provide amazing results. I’ve built 3 of his u87i builds and they’re my number one studio mics. I also built his D-U67 design he made and it’s my go to vocal mic now too.

Ryan

I would recommend building it back to original. Or at least making that your long term goal. It will never be worth what it should be as a bastard.

If you can afford to invest several thousand dollars in original parts, you may more than double your money.

Ditto to Jakob.  Contact the various repair experts once you have it and see what existing project needs they know of. 

Please, take the advice above.  Building a clone inside would be an insult to the original mic.  BLUE did enough of this sort of damage in the late '90s and early 2000s.

To be honest, I would sell it on evilbay and have a nice day with the lot of money I will get for it.

.... ok, ok.... I would use 10% of the money for some el cheapo microphone(s) and/or parts.

Latest posts

Back