Snarling Dogs Bawl Buster Inductor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so why the two coils?

that is what we are trying to figure out.

different cores and turns for different sounds from each, combining to make one great and complex sound?

could be, look at the two different colored wires,  an effort to make assembly easy so the workers don't get mixed up?

what about humbucking.  wah wah pedals are noisy and that is an understatement.

so we can measure parameters and figure out if the coils are different, or if they are the same with just different colored wire to throw somebody for a loop or maybe they ran out of wire or maybe they want to make it easier to hookup for the workers, why having two different colors would make it easier i do not know.

so i bet they figure that the diystompbox tracers would think some magic is going on which might sell more units,

turns out the coils have the same DCR at about 18 ohms piece, and the same inductance, about 675 mH each and about 1.3 H combined. inductance is not turns squared in this case as the turns are on two cores. so it just gets doubled.

Attachments

• d3.JPG
    d3.JPG
    189 KB · Views: 21
Frequency vs Inductance for both coils in series and each coil by itself.

starts are spliced to form a humbucking inductor.  just like a guitar  pickup.

another benefit will be lower capacitance due to using half the turns on each.

does it sound better? don't know, have not done an A/B test.

is it quiet? some folks say they pedals are noisy anyway, we will find out after we fix the darn thing.

Attachments

• Snarling Dog Inductor F vs H.png
    Snarling Dog Inductor F vs H.png
    12.9 KB · Views: 25
and the Ind. vs Level would seem to indicate that these are two identical cores,

DCR is equal, wire size is equal so we have the same turns.

do not want to unwind and rewind, so we take a Mean Length Turn measurement with a thin piece of mylar tape wrapped around the outside and then measure the tape length = 0.75 inches.

wire is 0.0042" which is normally #38 AWG.

#38 = 670  ohms per 1000 ft. we have 18 ohms each coil,

so 18/670 = 0.026865672  x 1000 t = 26.86 ft = 322.38 inches wire length.

so divide length of 1 turn into total length = 322/.75 = 430 turns each coil.

we can get an AL value for the cores now.

L=N^2 AL ,    L in nano Henries,  multiply mH by 1^6 for nano H,

700 mH = 700,000,000 nH / 430^2 =  3785 AL

Attachments

• Snarling Dog Inductor Ind vs Level.png
    Snarling Dog Inductor Ind vs Level.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 19
Thanks Gus! i knew you would come up with the answer!  :D

have you heard about the error when they tried to bootleg the Crybaby?

they got one of the resistors wrong

33K should go across the coil but they have it in parallel with the 470K>

Attachments

• wah wah A-B.png
    wah wah A-B.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 54
Interesting dissection professor  ;D

Ive futtered around with various L/C/R combos off the basic Dunlop setup ,
From a dead 'Dime Bag' wah I got the Frequency Switch,
My ears tell me 'Fasel' cores skimp on core material to produce a more gravely voicing .
I put a Fasel 'red' ductor into a common Dunlop and it became a different animal altogether ,
like a cobra that hissed and spitted .

Snarking Dogs is an OK name for a wah wah,

but let's say you came out with a smaller footprint wah, like a mini wah, what would you call it?

Chihuahua!  :D

There is a crowd called Plutonium who do a ChiWahWah pedal ,
Its an optical unit with no inductor , I have one that borked itself around somewhere ,
I think the company had a couple of revisions of the pedal before they got the electronics right . Ive had a chance to try various optical based wah pedals w/o inductors , if your looking for a super clean wah sound maybe its worth a try , but all the filter anomalies normally associated with wah pedals arent there .

Hundreds of turns by hand on a tiny toroid is going to be tedious , toroid winders look expensive .

CJ ,
I saw you mention in another post that you got a new transformer winder? Was it a Shenzen special or something more vintage you got?

I always liked the Snarling Dogs pedals.
I tried one day the Black Dog and Tweed E Dog overdrives and loved them both.
Then I saw the Wah Wah pedals and thought they looked awesome. I loved that the rocker pedal range is much wider than a crybaby which has a very limited range, also liked the diferent wah wah sounds option instead of being just limited to one sound. It's also big enough for the foot and heavy which makes these pedals more stable.

If anyone is interested here is the nice story of Snarling Dogs Pedals:

https://captain6string.blogspot.com/2017/08/a-saga-of-snarling-dogs-pedals.html

Tubetec said:
Hundreds of turns by hand on a tiny toroid is going to be tedious , toroid winders look expensive .

Grab a drink, start a movie, and knit away. There are worse ways to spend an evening ;D.

Looking at the files, I wound this inductor two years ago. About time to start building the pedal already...

Back