Studer 089/189 >MKI vs MKII

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SEED78

Hi guys,

Something I often wondered but never found clear thread on (clear to a fairly non technical person like me).

Is there much difference between MKI and MKII 089/189's?

MKII's use A101's right? is that a bad thing? Harder to service, but an effect on sound?

Would a 1969 MKI sound specifically better than a 1975 MKII?

Anything that improved during the approx 10 years these consoles where produced, or anything that got 'downgraded' during that time in the name of  'progress'.

Any insights much appreciated. I occasionally hear MKI's are the ones to have, but only once in a blue moon, and often from people actually selling MKI's, so.....  ;)

Hello

Yes there is differences

MKII have more functions...
more band at HP/LP filter
more boost/cut at HI/LOW shelving
more band at mid EQ and boost/cut (MKI only boost)
4 aux (2 for MKI)
Mute function
PF and AF insert

A101 is a "basic" differential (discrete) opamp, some versions (plotted) can't be fixed, but it's an easy part to source/rebuild (I have about 30pcb left, clone I made for service and spare here)
MKI have daughter board with discrete amp

I can't compare sound, only used to MKII.
I have MKI module but never load it as connector/pinout is not the same

I don't think Studer downgrade anything, but do the best possible with technologies available at each time.

Price become crazy  :-\ , if you can afford one, pick the one you can, both sound great for sure...

Best
Zam (more than happy 289 owner)

Thanks for the reply Zam. Good to know they mainly improved rather than took away!

I had a 1969 089 MK1 for a bit and i now miss it. I see 189 MK2's out there so am often curious if worth getting hold of and if they would sounds the same as my lovely 089 MK1.

SEED78 said:
I had a 1969 089 MK1 for a bit and i now miss it. I see 189 MK2's out there so am often curious if worth getting hold of and if they would sounds the same as my lovely 089 MK1.

they don't share exact same design, so there is probably sound differences... philosophy is the same I suppose

there is a MKI for sale right now, over 15k  :-X

Best
Zam

I was def wondering audible sonic difference.

there is no way the 089 will sell for 15k - mine was in decent condition and sold for under 4k 2 years ago. In the UK people know nothing of Studer

ruffrecords said:
SEED78 said:
Hello Ian

This lead me to a side question.
How did Neve see Studer desk back in the 70 ? Did such a company for example order or put hand on other manufacturer high end console ?  to see how it goes...

Cheers
Zam

ruffrecords said:
SEED78 said:
I know I know - but commercial studios here are not even into affordable MCI consoles with their rock/pop history, they just reach for expensive Neve/API/SSL or ITB only, I've not seen a Studer in any major UK studios, even though the build quality and sound is fantastic! Beyond fantastic even.

SEED78 said:
I know I know - but commercial studios here are not even into affordable MCI consoles with their rock/pop history, they just reach for expensive Neve/API/SSL or ITB only, I've not seen a Studer in any major UK studios, even though the build quality and sound is fantastic! Beyond fantastic even.

I suppose Ian don't only think about consoles...Studer have an unique tape recorder history.

Best
Zam

zamproject said:
Hello Ian

This lead me to a side question.
How did Neve see Studer desk back in the 70 ? Did such a company for example order or put hand on other manufacturer high end console ?  to see how it goes...

Cheers
Zam
Back in the 70s when I was at Neve, Studer were synonymous with tape recorders. They were a non-entity as far as consoles were concerned. As far as a I know Neve never got hold of competitor products in order to have a look inside. We were far too busy making consoles. In the UK our main competitors were Cadac and Calrec with Helios in third place. In the US market we had some serious competition from the likes of API and Harrison.

The Studer1 89 and it friends were small broadcast consoles. I guess the Neve equivalent product would be the BCM 10/2 which was Neve's first 'standard' product. One thing to rememeber is that commercial radio did not start in the UK until the early 70s. Before that all local radio stations were run by the BBC and they made their own broadcast consoles. Once commercial radio was authorised in the UK Neve began making products for it but it was never a big part of the business. You have to sell a lot of BCM 10/2 s to make as much money as a 48 channel monster.

Cheers

Ian

Hello Ian

Thank you for this history perspective.
I just want to add that the 189MKI in late 60' come in a 18/4 or 16/8 configuration, not a broadcast console I'll say.
The early 70' 289 version is told to be the largest console (up to 32 input to mixbus) but I'm not so sure about that, other companies already had "big" console at that time.

Best
Zam

ruffrecords said:
Here is a link to Studer's own Youtube history of its consoles. To this day the emphasis on broadcast and live applications with few if any consoles directed specifically at multi-track recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yZw_kxAae4

Cheers

Ian

Yes, I know this video...IIRC this museum no longer exist...wondering where all those consoles and RtR are now.

I don't deny the fact that Studer make most of business selling to broadcast industry, Still they produce desk since late 60' with multi bus output, to work with the A80.

Cheers
Zam

Back