Anyone heard from PRR lately?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loosing valuable members and in this case one of the most valuable contributors to this forum,
in my personal opinion actually the most valuable member here is not really good for this forum and community.
It's quite sad and I was noticing a reduced quality in this forum in the last months and now I understand why.

It doesn't make sense when a member like PRR makes suggestions for improvements to be mocked or pushed-back,
and like most of the times what he says makes totally sense:

https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=75371.0

When you loose the people that replies to posts, replies to questions, solve problems, brings knowledge and clears doubts you loose the interest in the forum.
PRR was doing it for free here, he is still doing it in other places

PRR said:
Now that I have had mocking argument from one, and push-back from multiple contributors, I will just remove post #1 here and go mow the lawn.

And of he went to mow the law almost 3 months ago...

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I thought about him earlier today too. Miss reading him. Losing folks with a high degree of competency for sake of political bs (if that is in fact what has occured) is mission creep, imo.  I'd be fine with cutting out chit chat if it meant gdiy remained technically relevant and attractive to talent.

Whoops said:
It doesn't make sense when a member like PRR makes suggestions for improvements to be mocked or pushed-back,
and like most of the times what he says makes totally sense:

I don't really know what you mean by "pushed-back". It looks like JR made a joke that wasn't sarcastic enough to scare off a chipmonk. So I think it's safe to say it's something else. Could be the guy just got bored and found somewhere else to procrastinate. Or it could be political rancor.

Whatever the case, the political stuff on this site is a real drag. I still think the Brewery should be moved out of the General Discussion category so that it's not like click-bait every time you click on Unread Posts under General Discussions. Even the non-political stuff is mostly noise. Click on the Brewery category and look over the list of threads. How many are even vaguely about E or music? It's like 30%.

Long term ad revenue is going to depend entirely on good content because there are lots of places to talk politics. Separate your peas and carrots.

I agree, we should bin the brewery. Every time I post there I regret it a few days later (unless it is actually a technical topic).

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I agree, we should bin the brewery. Every time I post there I regret it a few days later (unless it is actually a technical topic).

Cheers

Ian

I avoid political posts in here. Period. I tend to post other silly things that aren't necessarily audio related.

I like the idea of allowing off topic posts in a special area. Most forums have them. But I hate to hear about this kind of thing.

I don't recall seeing many posts from PRR but I'm pretty new.

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

I totally agree, Brewery should be removed from this forum

I can see the lab responses now....
Fair point. We're all mostly adults, and a space for letting off steam is good.  We kind of went over this last month-- take political views to political websites.

...found somewhere else to procrastinate.
If we could reinvest all the time spent typing at/to the world and instead put it into our love of learning new things, creating gear, making music... Oomph right in my gut-  thank you for the practical reminder.

I avoid the brewery because of the petulant arguing. That said PRR was such a gigantic wealth of knowledge (not to mention he is outright funny too) it is hard to imagine this place without him.

Does anybody actually know for a fact PRR avoiding this board because of the Brewery? Or is it just conjecture? His mind might work in more mysterious ways than being repelled by political discussions. Let's not start a reverse cargo cult...

Because, let's face it, nobody is forced to read the political topics. There are plenty of other discussions going on here anyone can concentrate on if they so choose.

And I've got to say, starting inflamatory topics (some of them ill informed) first in the mistaken anticipation of an echo chamber and after some pushback calling for the closure of the Brewery here (and in that other thread a few weeks ago) looks a lot like sour grapes to me.

Just keep to electronics topics here and utter the political grievances where they fall on more sympathetic ears elsewhere, I say.

And I hope nobody takes this or any other of my posts personal. They are never meant that way and I think we are all old enough to deal with some cognitive dissonance.

I like the Brewery. Cheers!

living sounds said:
Does anybody actually know for a fact PRR avoiding this board because of the Brewery?

I don't think it has any thing to with Politics.
PRR posted mostly in "The Lab" and the "Drawing board", helping people out. He didn't go to the gibberish threads that are going on the the Brewery.

You were the one that actually started that conjecture in the third post in this thread. I guess a lot of people are tired of the political discussions and just followed that.

living sounds said:
Probably avoided our politics bickering...

It has nothing to do with Politics and I gave the reason in my post. (might be more of course)
PRR stopped logging in after this thread that has to do with structural problems in this forum:

If  PRR is spending time over at DIYAudio,  then good for him.  The main concern is that he's well. 

Also, there are usually a good number of topics/threads  on that site that attempt to push the boundaries of collective knowledge.    Topics that wouldn't  get a look in on here. 
It could just be that he's bored with this place, he's said so in the past,  so why not the same reasons now?

As for The Brewery - It wouldn't matter to me if it went away. 
It does happen to be the only place I'll bother to post in nowadays, but I covered the reasons behind that decision about a month ago so no need to repeat them here.   

Whoops said:
I don't think it has any thing to with Politics.
PRR posted mostly in "The Lab" and the "Drawing board", helping people out. He didn't go to the gibberish threads that are going on the the Brewery.

You were the one that actually started that conjecture in the third post in this thread. I guess a lot of people are tired of the political discussions and just followed that.

It has nothing to do with Politics and I gave the reason in my post. (might be more of course)
PRR stopped logging in after this thread that has to do with structural problems in this forum:

Damn, you're correct, I wrote that. But it was meant as a joke, should have added  a  ;) .

Latest posts

Back