Re: What rack gear could you not live without in your mixes?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 10:33:27 PM »
Hands on faders.

There was a time that I worked completely in the box. I currently have a Chandler Mini Mixer in lieu of a standard console. Without getting too philosophical, the one thing I can't live without is some form of analog control on my channels.  It doesn't have to be a console that carries a pedigree like a Neve or Trident, or one full of flexibility like an SSL. It could be as simple as a four channel TEAC. You could talk about the effect analog summing has or doesn't have, topology, active versus passive, and a slew of other concepts that may or may not matter, but if something can take my eyes away from a screen and force my ears—and preferably hands—to evaluate a balance and manipulate it into the correct place throughout the journey of a piece of music, then it's indispensable.

Agreed, when I used to record, the thing that I missed the most in home studios were big consoles, I don't care if its a Behringer console, but I need to have faders and EQs when recording, if I needed to fix something I could just turn on the EQ and twist a knob.

pucho812

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2020, 11:46:11 PM »
gear comes and goes based on need and what it provides when I use it.   While I normally do not fuss about having to have specific things,  there are a couple of key pieces I would be very sad if they died. Luckily I can fix them.  Those pieces  are the u-33 compressor by old world audio, and my AD2055 eq by Avalon design.  I can achieve everything I want from those two units and then some.  I just wish I owned more of them.
You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is.

Squeaky

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2020, 09:55:19 PM »
Nice to know I'm not the only U-33 owner around here. All mixes are routed through a Chandler mini mixer, so until I finish building my own mixing console that is the piece of rack gear that I cannot live without.

Mbira

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 01:31:02 AM »
To me it's just all about whether my room is translating accurately for me.  So the only piece of rack gear I truly need is my power conditioner and interface.  The rest is just all for fun and doesn't really get me any closer that I can get ITB.  So I'm pretty much with Whoops on this. 
Joel Laviolette

Rattletree   |  https://www.rattletree.com
The Rattletree School of Marimba | https://www.learnmarimba.com

boji

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 01:40:29 AM »
Enjoying the make/model drops, thanks y'all! Some of them I've never read on before.

Don't have any desert island gear I couldn't stand to lose, not yet.  ;)
I'll start on a stereo u73b clone after completing the whale;  hope they become indispensable.