Transformer for AKG 414EB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potato Cakes

Hello, everyone,

I am looking at building a number of really nice mics with choice components for a client. One of the items requested were the 414EB. I was looking at taking some of the Peluso P-414 which is closely based on this model (according to them) but I am almost near certain the capsule is Chinese and I don't where the transformer originates. To make the client something special, I was going to take these and replace the capsule with some of Tim Campbell's CT12's and a transformer from AMI, but I don't know what a comparable replacement would be. Since this was supposed to be a replacement for the C12, would the same transformer be suitable in a historic 414? Doing all of this and may be some tweaks would still be much cheaper than a historic 414EB on the vintage market, let alone the almost guaranteed maintenance.

I would prefer to build from scratch but I don't have a source for the mechanical and PCB parts for this particular mic.

Thanks!

Paul

How long have you been here, Paul?  You know there is a Microphones section, right?  ;D
Someone else is already started down this same road: https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=75491.0

I had forgotten about the microphone section. I've been away for a while (it feels like it anyway) and only recently have returned. I did see Spence's post. I guess I should have clarified about looking for a nice modern version of the U54 transformer that is in the original schematic.

Thanks!

Paul

Yeah I've just built 3 x C414 EB P48 and wound my own txf,  hot some really great results which I'm quite shocked about.
Have had a play with the circuit in a few places to accommodate the chinese capsules.
You can get the lams and bobbins off evil bay.
Pretty easy to wind just make sure one primary is reverse wound to reduce hum.

Spencerleehorton said:
Yeah I've just built 3 x C414 EB P48 and wound my own txf,  hot some really great results which I'm quite shocked about.
Have had a play with the circuit in a few places to accommodate the chinese capsules.
You can get the lams and bobbins off evil bay.
Pretty easy to wind just make sure one primary is reverse wound to reduce hum.

I've been reading your other thread. Winding transformers and knowing why laminations matter might be a bridge too far for me at this point.

I've been reading your post on your 414 build. I am very keen on knowing how the tantalum version compares to the electrolytic.

Thanks!

Paul

Still no good results yet, have made a long list of tests which I will get through over the next week or so as really want to get a good version going for overhead on kit and guitar cab and room mic.
At the moment I'm having to rely on my U87 early versions as they are nice and quiet!!

Latest posts

Back