Campaign Shock Troops

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hodad

So Portland:  https://www.opb.org/news/article/federal-law-enforcement-unmarked-vehicles-portland-protesters/

Mysterious Fed troops make an unwanted, unrequested intervention in protests.  They shoot people, use tear gas, randomly arrest folks.  It's hard not to consider this a) an abuse of power by the executive branch; and possibly b) a deliberate provocation designed to make campaign ads look like they're actually true instead of the hyperbolic BS they are. 

Georgia is apparently enough of a battleground to merit a ton of Trump ads, so I've been getting an eyeful lately. The imagined world of violent left wing protesters in the Trump ads simply doesn't exist (or is such a tiny part of actual protests that it's largely insignificant).  So what's a president to do?  Obviously the only solution is to abuse the power of the office in order to gin up resistance to a crew of federal sh!t-stirrers acting like Gestapo wannabes. 

The more conspiratorial explanation is that Trump is gearing up to invoke martial law in an attempt to subvert the November election (you can throw his attack on the USPS on that conspiracy bonfire as well:  https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/usps-delays-elections-vote-by-mail-worries).  Either way, it stinks to high heaven.

Lol. I can’t help but laugh at this. While I don’t approve of just taking folks without cause or due process, the little shits are going to learn they’re  are consequences to their Actions. 

pucho812 said:
the little sh*ts are going to learn they’re  are consequences to their Actions.

There are consequences from exercising ones First Amendment rights?   
Like getting shot, without provocation, directly in the head by a 'less lethal' projectile and suffering a fractured skull?
I thought this was the land of the free.    At times it looks like a war zone in  occupied territory. 

Geheime Staatspolizei  seems apt to me.

pucho812 said:
While I don’t approve of just taking folks without cause or due process, the little sh*ts are going to learn they’re  are consequences to their Actions.
What about the little sh!ts denying due process, or arresting people without cause?  Who's going to teach them that there are consequences to their actions?

pucho812 said:
Lol. I can’t help but laugh at this. While I don’t approve of just taking folks without cause or due process, the little sh*ts are going to learn they’re  are consequences to their Actions.

Hateful

Winston O'Boogie said:
There are consequences from exercising ones First Amendment rights?   
Like getting shot, without provocation, directly in the head by a 'less lethal' projectile and suffering a fractured skull?
I thought this was the land of the free.    At times it looks like a war zone in  occupied territory. 

Geheime Staatspolizei  seems apt to me.
I wouldn't call destruction of private and public property a protected first amendment right.  whil they can legally assemble and address their grievances in a peaceful manor, they are not allowed to destroy things and injure people.  I saw it first hand here in L.A. the "peaceful protests" were lead by guys on bicycles with baseball bats. what part of peaceful protesting requires a baseball bat?

hodad said:
What about the little sh!ts denying due process, or arresting people without cause?  Who's going to teach them that there are consequences to their actions?

there is no proof they are not given due process. there is  no proof theres is no cause.  that's all speculation at this point. 

the best part is that it's not even being reported on local news media.  so hmmm...

I saw it first hand here in L.A. the "peaceful protests" were lead by guys on bicycles with baseball bats. what part of peaceful protesting requires a baseball bat?

I can't  answer regarding your bike dude with the baseball bat, but there are hundreds of clips online from around the US showing protests about police brutality being met with, police brutality. 
In Portland Oregon, the city officials and the governor have categorically stated  they don't want the federal guys there.  It has only escalated tensions.  It isn't about restoring law and order that seems sure. 

there is no proof they are not given due process. there is  no proof theres is no cause.  that's all speculation at this point. 

the best part is that it's not even being reported on local news media.  so hmmm...

Oh really? Strange.  I live 5000 miles away from Portland and it's currently the main story regarding all things US on my local news. 

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 10.34.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-18 at 10.34.16.png
    575.9 KB · Views: 13
Totally agree with Pucho here. First amendment doesn't give the right to riot, vandalize, steal, loot  and occupy. Some places  do look like a war zone because they have been invaded and taken over by domestic terrorists. I am surprised that it's been allowed to go on this long.

Nothing happens in a vacuum, why do you think people are feeling the need to protest this stuff? 

The simple act of a footballer taking a knee at the national anthem caused indignation,  people are tired of nothing being done.

Fixing the problems seems to be the obvious answer, not more  militarisation of the police. 

We have laws preventing federal government from doing local policing (posse comitatus). That said when rioters break federal laws and the local government is appeasing them, it is not surprising for the federal government to step in to take action.

Injuring police officers doesn't sound like the "summer of love" peaceful protests that the news is claiming. Reportedly they were trying to set up another autonomous zone and looted stores around a police station and threatened to burn it down. Not unlike in Seattle.

It is disturbing how media spins this to fit the partisan story du jour that they are pushing.

Appeasing these anarchists will just lead to more such uncivil and illegal behavior.

Burning and looting are not protected first amendment speech.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
It is disturbing how media spins this to fit the partisan story du jour that they are pushing.
JR
Regardless of the other side, don't you think that's exactly what Trump and Fox/OAN are doing?  You're being seriously manipulated by those you seem to believe.  Please don't preach about the alleged distortions of the "left wing" media when you're incapable of seeing what the right wing media (and your president) is doing to you.

hodad said:
Regardless of the other side, don't you think that's exactly what Trump and Fox/OAN are doing?

You're being seriously manipulated by those you seem to believe.  Please don't preach about the alleged distortions of the "left wing" media when you're incapable of seeing what the right wing media (and your president) is doing to you.

I really dislike arguing with people about "me". I consider myself an expert on that subject.  8)

===
Do you think CNN, MSNBC, et al are fair and balanced?

I am pretty comfortable with "our" president, but I am uncomfortable about mass media picking political sides and lobbying (for either party) in a presidential election.

VP Joe Biden seems to be tilting even further left. I thought he already had the nomination locked up, so it should be time for him to pivot away from the democratic base and back toward the political center, to help his chances in the general election. It appears he is believing the polls like Hillary did, and channeling his inner Bernie.

JR

PS: My twitter account wasn't hacked so hold onto your bitcoin.  ::)

PPS: I don't have a twitter account.

You're always attacking the "left wing" media (there's a reason I use the quotes.  Commercial media, mainstream media--sure.  Look at CNN's coverage of Trump pre-election--all about eyeballs.  Or Ebola during the Obama years.  Or that airliner that crashed in the ocean.  Or OJ.)  I'm not here to praise CNN.  I'm not here to praise WaPo.  Both have biases, agendas, shortcomings. 

But by attacking the "liberal" media you're attacking me--or whoever may reference a story from a source you've decided does not suit your political tastes.  You're also attempting to invalidate the information by attacking its source (not quite ad hominem--ad mediam?).  That's weak sauce, john, and you know it. 

Here's the deal:  Trump sent CBP agents (not identified as such, and only acknowledged to be such after the "liberal" media reported on what was happening), unbidden, to Portland.  The mayor of Portland does not want them there.  The governor of Oregon does not want them there.  According to a PDX friend I just asked about the protests:  "  Prior to a few days ago, I wasn't even aware that people were still protesting every night, because apparently it was small groups confined to a very small area."

So if the protests were minor, why the shock troops with tear gas and flash bangs and rubber bullets?  What purpose is that serving?  (And if the protests in Portland were all that out of hand, don't you think the "liberal" media would have already been there?  That would have brought serious eyeballs to CNN etc.  We saw that in the first round of protests--the media seemingly couldn't wait for things to get out of hand so they'd have some good stuff for people to watch. )  Who is best served by this escalation of force? 

Could it be that the person behind the shock troops stands to benefit from their presence more than anyone?  Could it be that the "reality" tv star in the White House is staging a little "reality" tv of his own in order to bolster his flagging bid for re-election? 

You seem to be pretty cynical and suspect of media/politicians you disagree with?  Are you really so duped that you can't entertain the strong possibility that this escapade has more to do with Trump's campaign than the actual events in Portland?  Seriously?  Are you that far gone?

hodad said:
You're always attacking the "left wing" media (there's a reason I use the quotes.  Commercial media, mainstream media--sure.  Look at CNN's coverage of Trump pre-election--all about eyeballs.  Or Ebola during the Obama years.  Or that airliner that crashed in the ocean.  Or OJ.)  I'm not here to praise CNN.  I'm not here to praise WaPo.  Both have biases, agendas, shortcomings. 

But by attacking the "liberal" media you're attacking me--or whoever may reference a story from a source you've decided does not suit your political tastes.  You're also attempting to invalidate the information by attacking its source (not quite ad hominem--ad mediam?).  That's weak sauce, john, and you know it. 
You are the one trolling me.... I just do not accept your version of truth. Sorry it you feel attacked by my suggestion of alternate viewpoints.
Here's the deal:  Trump sent CBP agents (not identified as such, and only acknowledged to be such after the "liberal" media reported on what was happening), unbidden, to Portland.  The mayor of Portland does not want them there.  The governor of Oregon does not want them there.  According to a PDX friend I just asked about the protests:  "  Prior to a few days ago, I wasn't even aware that people were still protesting every night, because apparently it was small groups confined to a very small area."
there's your "deal"... peaceful antifa? ::) I will not bore the forum with links to their law breaking (just in Portland).
So if the protests were minor,
summer of peace?
why the shock troops with tear gas and flash bangs and rubber bullets?  What purpose is that serving?  (And if the protests in Portland were all that out of hand, don't you think the "liberal" media would have already been there?  That would have brought serious eyeballs to CNN etc.  We saw that in the first round of protests--the media seemingly couldn't wait for things to get out of hand so they'd have some good stuff for people to watch. )  Who is best served by this escalation of force? 
nice try to blame the police.... I hear a lot of that these days.
Could it be that the person behind the shock troops stands to benefit from their presence more than anyone?  Could it be that the "reality" tv star in the White House is staging a little "reality" tv of his own in order to bolster his flagging bid for re-election? 
that's a stretch,,, perhaps he see's the harm to the entire country from appeasing these radical actors.  Appeasing the creation of an autonomous zone in Seattle, has encouraged other anarchist to repeat the effort.  (Appeasing the alligator only means that he eats you last.)
You seem to be pretty cynical and suspect of media/politicians you disagree with? 
I am cynical and suspect of all media/politicians.
Are you really so duped that you can't entertain the strong possibility that this escapade has more to do with Trump's campaign than the actual events in Portland?  Seriously?  Are you that far gone?
I have been watching antifa and anarchist riot around the world for years. This is not new, or a President Trump thing, while I agree with his desire to squelch radical activists commandeering city police station, looting, and violence.

For the record it already a federal crime to cross state lines to instigate rioting. The DOJ has already identified and arrested a number of these paid instigators, in other cities where rioting occurred. Antifa was wearing masks before COVID.  :eek: (I wonder if IR cameras can perform facial recognition through masks?)

Are you so far gone that you can't believe that there are bad actors out there trying to weaken our republic from the inside?

This appears to be a waste of your time and mine... I need to mow my grass.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
"summer of love" peaceful protests that the news is claiming.

Interesting that history prefers to remember the summer of 1967 as the  ’summer of love’.  Outside of the S.F. Height Ashbury district it was known as the ‘long, hot summer’ with 157  race riots across the U.S.
I guess ‘summer of love’ seems cosier and a better side of history to be on. 

JohnRoberts said:
  Are you so far gone that you can't believe that there are bad actors out there trying to weaken our republic from the inside?

Allow me to finish that thought:  "... weaken our republic from the inside  of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue."

JohnRoberts said:
I just do not accept your version of truth.
You're calling me a liar then?  8) 8)
I find it really odd you put so much stock in a man who's lied pretty much constantly since January 20, 2017, and yet you have so much distrust of the "liberal" media that you're able to discern without so much as a read or a listen that everything they say is worthless. 
I do question your judgment, and just how clouded it is by what you want to be true (that relentless optimism you constantly brag about), and consequently how incapable you are of adequately interpreting the facts around you. 

hodad said:
You're calling me a liar then?  8) 8)
no I think you probably believe your version of the truth... 
I find it really odd you put so much stock in a man who's lied pretty much constantly since January 20, 2017, and yet you have so much distrust of the "liberal" media that you're able to discern without so much as a read or a listen that everything they say is worthless. 
I do question your judgment, and just how clouded it is by what you want to be true (that relentless optimism you constantly brag about), and consequently how incapable you are of adequately interpreting the facts around you.
If you value my judgement so lowly, why do you f'n care what I think..?
=====
Right now I am thinking about my yard. My grass won't cut itself.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
no I think you probably believe your version of the truth... 
You know,  the "2 different movies" schtick is a worthwhile thought exercise, but in the real world it has its limits.  When push comes to shove, who is right?  If you're Bill Barr, you say that "history is written by the winners," so winning is what makes you right.  And so what if you lie, cheat, even maim, kill and destroy to win--winning is the only thing.  And winning makes everything right. 

When you go down that road (and that is where the GOP is headed), you forsake the principles this country was built on.  You run headlong toward fascism. 

Of course, if one chooses not to go the "2 different movies" route, or the "history is written by the winners" route, he has to be able to admit being wrong, and be open to doubt when it stares him straight in the face.

And why do I bother to argue?  Maybe it reminds me of arguing with my crotchedy-ass Republican grandfather (RIP), who was all about black helicopters & one world govt. as opposed to deep state & pizzagate (plus ça change, eh?).  Maybe it's simply that not speaking up is the same as giving up,  letting the lie unchallenged stand.  You gotta keep fighting, I suppose.

Winston O'Boogie said:
I saw it first hand here in L.A. the "peaceful protests" were lead by guys on bicycles with baseball bats. what part of peaceful protesting requires a baseball bat?

I can't  answer regarding your bike dude with the baseball bat, but there are hundreds of clips online from around the US showing protests about police brutality being met with, police brutality. 
In Portland Oregon, the city officials and the governor have categorically stated  they don't want the federal guys there.  It has only escalated tensions.  It isn't about restoring law and order that seems sure. 

Oh really? Strange.  I live 5000 miles away from Portland and it's currently the main story regarding all things US on my local news.

yes but it is not a story in local Portland news or so I was told from residences I know there.

Back