Campaign Shock Troops

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soren Stevenson, 25.  Shot with a "non lethal" round - skull fractures, multiple facial bones fractured.  Lost an eye

Attachments

• Soren Stevenson .png
    Soren Stevenson .png
    679 KB · Views: 5
Leslie Furcron, 59 - In a medically induced coma and will likely lose an eye after being shot with a "non lethal" round.  You can see it embedded in her skull here:

Attachments

• Leslie Furcron .png
    Leslie Furcron .png
    246.2 KB · Views: 9
JohnRoberts said:
Tens of police officers have been injured by rioters in multiple cities. Do you want me to list all the police, and private business owner casualties?  (I should not have too, and have better things to do with my time).

The shooting (killing) of retired police captain David Dorn is pretty high profile, does that count as a non-protester casualty?
John, you are teaching a master class in whataboutism these days.  ;D.

John, you are teaching a master class in whataboutism these days.  ;D

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it was said/implied that suffering and violence was only being leveled on protestors.  Arguments of preponderance aside, is this true?

Well, surely there have been police injured during all of this.  Maybe someone will link some gruesome injuries like Winston did above.  At bare minimum, it must be exhausting swinging a polycarbonate baton all night long, and I'm sure trigger fingers are sore.  Gas canisters and rubber bullets don't shoot themselves!

The problem is, we can't sweep aside arguments of preponderance,  because otherwise we end up conflating this:

46807d1f-ecdc-42dc-8e87-787c458f0df8-AP_Racial_Injustice_Portland.jpg

with this:

800.jpeg

as being exactly the same thing.

Matador said:
...otherwise we end up conflating...

...as being exactly the same thing.

Except the guys dressed as trees  are "valiant"  and the moms  "violent"  ::)

Since there is no  caravan of refugees heading for the Mexico/US border,  I suppose there needs to be a new threat to keep Trumpers up at night.   

Not sweeping aside preponderance,  its evidence has already been presented to maximum effect.  An effect I might add would make any honorable child 'tree-up' should their mother take a projectile.

pucho812 said:
Want more?

I, for one, am not advocating  police free zones.  Just better policing.   
But. couple of points regarding  CHOP:

It came about after an unprecedented number of complaints against Seattle P.D. for using violent and excessive force during the  George Floyd/BLM protests (18,000 complaints received, yes 18K).  Many of the acts were caught on video.  Public trust in S.P.D. was not good.  Still isn't.

Both the Seattle P.D. and Fire department, as well as city officials,  issued statements that they *would* attend calls to the CHOP zone that were for serious or life threatening situations.    They then didn't attend of course. 

Seattle P.D. blamed not being able to attend the 1st shooting incident (where one person died) on aggressive protestors not letting them in.  Video disproved this.  And after releasing the 911 recordings it was established that it was a communication problem between S.P.D. and S.F.D.  which allowed  a person to die.

The fire in the auto parts store started by the anarchist happened outside the CHOP zone.  What was the excuse for not attending that incident? 

Edit:  that was a rhetorical question of course.  I can't think of any good reason they didn't attend other than some form of racketeering-like payback. 

pucho812 said:

"murders, assaults, rapes, and extortions"? Not in the bits I can read (NYT is behind a paywall).

So the BBC story about two teenagers shot from today happened last night, which means when you wrote the quoted texts they were still alive and well.

The story about the shopkeeper happened outside the "zone" and relies entirely on claims by a purported victim to FoxNews. It sounds plausible, but we just don't know, do we?

There isn't anything about rapes and extortions in the articles.

Anyway, we should not allow to let our focus allow to slip and the right-wing to re-frame the issues. The problem is not a few isolated spots in a few cities. Part of that "problem" is likely not even real, as evidenced by the story about the right-wing-biker-gang who where the ones actually starting violence in one of these areas.

The real problems are and remain systemic racism, inequality and corruption of the political process. Even more authoritarianism only makes these problems worse.

There's nothing new under the sun.

Fascism in the postwar inevitably will push steadily for Anglo-Saxon imperialism and eventually for war with Russia. Already American fascists are talking and writing about this conflict and using it as an excuse for their internal hatreds and intolerances toward certain races, creeds and classes.

US Vice president Wallace, in the NYT, 1944.

Full text:

https://pastebin.com/9JsXyuF9

Anyway, we should not allow to let our focus allow to slip and the right-wing to re-frame the issues.

How shall we not allow people to reframe issues when the right-wing frame of mind is unworthy of study/rapprochement?

boji said:
How shall we not allow people to reframe issues when the right-wing frame of mind is unworthy of study/rapprochement?

Oh, it has been studied alright. I think scientists have a pretty good idea how these things work.

In a nutshell, economic displacement, rapid societal change, a loss of cultural homogeniety and marginalized political representation allow for a subset of the population to be radicalized into conspiratorial authoritarian thinking by exploitative media, politicians and these days even by foreign interest peddlers.

Fascism cannot be met half-way. What can be met are the economic needs of the people left behind by the late-term turbocapitalism we now live in. The ramblings of demagogues don't fall on fertile soil where people can participate economically and where their legitimate interests are deemed worthy of consideration, where their vote does actually count.

This has happened before, at a similar crossroads in the 30s the US elected FDR and what followed was a golden era of equality and progress.

And anyone who actually thinks that things went well before Covid-19 hit needs to take a good look at the numbers.

I mentioned further up that no federal law enforcement had been held to account in any way, and that I wouldn't be holding my breath waiting for that to change.    I'm still not. 

boji said:

I hope you can understand there is a lot of difference between the "the right-wing frame of mind" and fascism. Just like there is a difference between the moral majority and the KKK.

I find it funny that after all these years, the non-existing commies are still blamed for... well, for everything, really. I mean, the CIA meddles in a lot of foreign nations. Bolsonaro is at the wheel in Brasil, because of the CIA. Meddling with elections is in the handbook.

When the Russians meddle with US elections, through legal means, it's a problem. When Israel does the same, it's OK.

Meanwhile, internal US problems don't get solved. Infra is rotting away, moving production back to the US is a flop, relations with almost every nation on the planet are... euhm... stressed?

This forms a very welcome environment for fascism. Fascism, that's never been far away. It's never been eradicated, because of that bizarre fear of commies.

LS
I think scientists have a pretty good idea how these things work.
So it's the job of the scientist, not the politician to study the right wing, and locate political concessions? 

CY
This forms a very welcome environment for fascism. Fascism, that's never been far away. It's never been eradicated, because of that bizarre fear of commies.
If fascism is only a result of the fear of communism, is the solution to relax the definitions of communism or be more accepting of it?  Wouldn't forms of McCarthyism be resurrected to combat it, which in turn would provide more reasons to assert that fascism is on the rise?

(Pardon the personal opinion,  but whenever I read someone adding the word fascism to their arguments, it usually is making a case based on intuition. It's difficult to ignore that McCarthyism is partially defined by that method of persuasion.)

boji said:
So it's the job of the scientist, not the politician to study the right wing, and locate political concessions? 

It's always the job of the scientist to study a subject. It's the job of the politician to inform themselves about the science.

As for Facism and Communism - both are totalitarian in nature. Well-informed people shouldn't argue for either.

Latest posts

Back