Plated slots in Eagle from JLCPCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashcanman

I'm wanting to get some boards from JLCPCB made with plated slots and was wondering if anyone had done this recently using EAGLE.  The JLCPCB website has instructions on doing slots which are,

Please kindly make sure that the v-cut lines, cut outs, millings and slots are in the same layer with the board outline. If it is not in the same layer with the board outline, it will be missed. So please kindly check it before you place your order.If it is missed due to they are not in the same layer with the board outline, we will not responsible for it.(If the slots are to be plated, it needs to be with the drill holes in the same layer, or it will be missed easily).

From this it seems like all you need to do is draw the slot outline on the dimension layer, however doing so with pads that are connected to a copper pour area will make them disconnected from the pour.

3ImrQAw.png

I don't know if JLCPCB are able to fix this before making the boards but I don't want to leave anything to chance. I could just draw the connection manually I if I had to I guess, although I'm not even sure if the above instructions apply to plated slots.

The way you can do this is create a footprint for the part, but instead of the usual "pad" which creates a hole, you use "smd" which creates a SMD pad. Put one on top and one on bottom. You have to draw the actual hole in the milling layer, which gets exported to the GML gerber file like the rest of the dimensions. I moved one of the top pads out of the way so you can see what's going on.

When creating the device, you just connect the two pads of the footprint to the one pin of the schematic symbol ("append").

Attachments

• eagle.png
    eagle.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 13
volker said:
The way you can do this is create a footprint for the part, but instead of the usual "pad" which creates a hole, you use "smd" which creates a SMD pad. Put one on top and one on bottom. You have to draw the actual hole in the milling layer, which gets exported to the GML gerber file like the rest of the dimensions. I moved one of the top pads out of the way so you can see what's going on.

When creating the device, you just connect the two pads of the footprint to the one pin of the schematic symbol ("append").

Have you used this method with JLCPCB? So the milling layer is grouped with the dimensions layer?

For DirtyPCBs, I created a package for the part, created a regular pad and added the slot using Milling layer:

NKK_plated_slot.png

I've done slots like this twice with DirtyPCBs and they came out plated through alright.

How does this transliterate into JLCPCB? No clue. I'm not sure I even understand their language. It reads:

"make sure that the v-cut lines, cut outs, millings and slots are in the same layer with the board outline."

The v-cut lines, millings and slots are drawn using separate layers and therefore they cannot be the "same layer".

Latest posts

Back