I just bought a laser engraver

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

I bought a 15W laser engraver, the manufacturer says it will engrave anodized aluminum, Im not too picky, I only need to engrave labels and scales, and would also like to engrave/cut acrylic. Don't know if it will work properly, I was planning on buying a 50W engraver but they cost at least four times what I paid for mine, anyone has experience with these machines?

I have played around with a 15W (blue diode-laser) for a while

It will mark black-anodized aluminum nice and white - however it must be well focused, so you end up having a VERY narrow line engraved.

In my case, wanting something like 0.2mm lines, I'd have to run 5-10 times over, just slightly shifted. But the mechanics of the unit - direct-driven from 200PPM steppers via drive belts - does simply not allow for this sort of repeatability precision. At least I haven't been able to persuade it to do it properly just yet.

A friend of mine mentioned that it might work to simply put on some jitter, engraving lines as doodles. I'll experiment with cellphone-vibrator-motors and try converting lines to spirals. Haven't gone there yet (business is finally catching up again :) )

For acrylic, I don't think it does it - at least if it is the visible (blue) laser. Being transparent to blue, it dosen't stick :)  Traditionally, acrylic and perspex is cut with co2-lasers

/Jakob E.

Hey Jakob, I'm glad to hear that it will engrave aluminum, like I said I only want scales and labels, how thin are we talking about? In the future I might get a 50W CO2 laser but spending $1K right now is not an option for me.  For acrylic I meant the dark acrylic, do you think it will work?

Here's a closeup of it's work for reference.

I'd estimate it to deliver some 1/25mm per line, perhaps even thinner.

This is on anodized aluminum, it does not work well for other sorts like powdercoat etc.

In general, I think you need to try on your specific surface type to know if it makes sense..

Attachments

• laserlines.jpg
    laserlines.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 141
The engraver arrived yesterday, I have to assemble the whole thing, and I need to find anodized aluminum scraps to make some tests, I'll keep you guys posted.

Unearthing this 2 year old thread. How have you progressed with your engraver?
I made the decision to buy one because of the availability of IR laser heads that are supposedly capable of engraving clear aluminium. I guess you could probably mount one on your existing machine...

Back