That 1512 gain adjustment driving me nuts!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
Tolerance is not the issue. When I mentioned C3, it's not the tolerance, it's the taper. I seriouslky doubt guitar amps use C3 pots.
According to That’s design note, the gain trajectory vary depending on the reverse pot tolerance.

F0-B3-B780-23-C2-417-B-9-C07-7-C550-B48852-F.jpg

elskardio said:
According to That’s design note, the gain trajectory vary depending on the reverse pot tolerance.

F0-B3-B780-23-C2-417-B-9-C07-7-C550-B48852-F.jpg
Read again:
"Eigure 3 shows how the decibel gain of the circuit of Figure 2 varies with pot rotation using a 1510 and various 10 kΩ pots for RGV. The pots are all reverse audio (log) taper, usinga two-segment piece-wise linear approximation to the log function; the tapers vary from2.5% to 20%. "

Not tolerance, taper The graph shows clearly that C2.5 gives the smoothest law.

Yipp, correct always following the THAT design notes. In this case a 100ohm instead of a 5k poti, does the trick.

Next weeks i will test een a few THAT based designs RIAA pre-amp and Mic pre-amp. I will post the results.

Attachments

• Mic. sym. pre-amp.pdf
    308.4 KB · Views: 0
  • That mic-preamp with V-control volume and auto trim PCB.JPG
    That mic-preamp with V-control volume and auto trim PCB.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
From someone who worked at P&G last century albeit across the corridor from the pot / fader production. In production Accuracy for Audio taper (near Log but not quite) is only considered critical down to -40dB. Beyond that the emphasis of on offness. Similar applies to others eg OMEG.

Last edited:
Next weeks i will test een a few THAT based designs RIAA pre-amp and Mic pre-amp. I will post the results.
Note that the THAT1510/12 are not the best choice for a moving magnet phono cartridge.
These chips have an OSI (Optimum Source Impedance) of about 1kohm.
A typical MM cartridge has an impedance of about 8kohm at 3kHz. The conribution of noise current becomes excessive in the area of audition's maximum sensitivity.

Back