Running a GSSL from a ACDC Module?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Has anyone here any direct experience (no folklore) of running a GSSL from a Power Module such as this one?
https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-RT-65C-Supply-Triple/dp/B005T9IAY0/ref=sr_1_10?dchild=1&keywords=triple+output+power+supply&qid=1595563017&sr=8-10

I'm in the middle of a build for doing some mod development, wondering if a toroidal is fully necessary, or if I can use one of these power supplies with some additional aggressive CRC filtering.

Thoughts and feedback?

/R

I've seen it running on worse:  https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32821968360.html  (seemed to work as expected, low noise, but did not check the units in-depth, not mine)

I don't think there's anyhing in GSSL that is PSURR sensitive at HF - you just need to take your wireing a bit more serious than usually.

Try it and let us know?

/Jakob E.

I'm toying with importing a specific power supply and selling them to be honest.
(something a little better than that one!)

... but was concerned that I'd be wasting time completely.

Thanks for the shared experience Gyraf. I'm glad you had a real example, rather than "ooh no! never go close to a switching supply".
Switching supplies have changed so much in the last 20 years.

Hello

I purchase the same SMPS one week ago for a JLM OPTO side chain pcb which I will use with a Studer line amp
Can't say for now as I don't put the whole think together (still to order the FP/rack for it)

There is so many audio gear with SMPS now, without issue, I don't see why it won't work

Best
Zam

Couple of things to remember about SMPS and multi-rail ones in particular. First, they need a minimum load in order to regulate properly and for them to reach a lowish ripple. Second only one rail is regulated (usually the one delivering most current), and the rest move relative to it.

The good thing about them is their output voltages are relatively stable so you can use a low drop out analogue regulator to clean them up.

Cheers

Ian

Back