Amplitrex AT1000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a very versatile tester when coupled with a computer.  I believe it can do tracing, matching, etc.  It has become somewhat of a modern standard among guitar amp and hi-fi folks, replacing the US TV-7 series and the European AVO models as the Big Dog.  The µ-Tracer is gaining ground and is the unit I would love to build to replace my TV-7 someday.

Thanks for the tip about the u-tracer. I vaguely recollect hearing about it but I checked it out in some detail. Seems pretty good and it is a kit which makes fun as well. The only thing the AT1000 has in addition is the ability to listen to tube noise and microphonics which is something I do a lot.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The only thing the AT1000 has in addition is the ability to listen to tube noise and microphonics which is something I do a lot.

That *is* a very useful feature.  Might it be added to the µ-Tracer?  I have not checked the site recently, but perhaps someone has done that on their build.

How does the tube noise feature work? I have a noise test on my Hickok 750, which requires you to connect the antenna of an AM radio to a pair of sockets. You then tap the tube and use the radio to amplify the microphonic rattle. The problem with that method is being consistent in your tap velocity from tube to tube. Not very scientific

The AT1000 noise feature is simply a headphones jack. The 'usual' way to test noise is the ac short the grid to 0V (capacitor) and amplify the signal from the anode which is what I think the AT1000 does. I can  do the same for a regular balanced output on my Lindos Audio Test Set. This has a noise measurement that inserts a 50dB amplifier and feeds it to a built in speaker. It is amazing what you can hear. As a tubes heat up their noise increases to a maximum then drops back as the space charge develops. When you turn the heater off the noise drops quite quickly but you can sometime hear pings as the various metal parts cool and contract. And you can test microphonics with a pencil.

Cheers

Ian

Back