Quantum magnets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyrano

A US-Chinese research team is onto something new:

https://phys.org/news/2020-07-scientists-topological-magnet-exotic-quantum.html

You'll have to read the article, I'm afraid as I don't grok it yet, I'm afraid.

The researchers further used other tools to check and reconfirm their findings of the Chern gapped Dirac fermions, including electrical transport measurements of anomalous Hall scaling, angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy of the Dirac dispersion in momentum space, and first-principles calculations of the topological order in the material family. The data provided a complete spectrum of inter-linked evidence all pointing to the realization of a quantum-limit Chern phase in this kagome magnet.

That's exactly what I was thinking... 8)

I can't extract even the smallest piece of information from this - it could as well be written by a  recursive transition text generator or be a hoax like Sokal's

Smells at least a little of smoke screening, i.e. no results but wanting more funding

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo/  < reload, and get a new one each time

/Jakob E.

Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I figured it was my paranoid mind again, but you seem to draw the same conclusion.

I did a fair bit of googling and couldn't find much on the type of magnets they're using. Doesn't mean much, as magnetism probably still is the least understood physics department.

I remember once a buddy trying to convince me that perpetual motion with magnets was possible, in other words free energy  :)
I tried to explain even the energy required to gather rare earth elements to make the magnets in the first place would dwarf any return .
Energy is neither created nor destroyed ,but merely transformed , yes magnets and coils are some of the finest ,most efficient 'engines' to transform one kind of energy to another , it still doesnt equate to a free lunch though.
Nuclear power might appear to offer boundless energy for next to nothing , but can we be sure humanzee will be around for the next few hundred thousand years to contain the hazardous waste that the industry creates ?
In the hunger for power we could very easily end up with a planet inhabbited by D.radiodurans and cockroaches in the end .

cyrano said:
Thanks for confirming my suspicion. I figured it was my paranoid mind again, but you seem to draw the same conclusion.

I did a fair bit of googling and couldn't find much on the type of magnets they're using. Doesn't mean much, as magnetism probably still is the least understood physics department.

I don't think magnetism is the least understood magnitude in physics, in fact there is a good electrodynamics treatize and I can say that as a species we have somehow acquired a good grasp of electromagnetism, I have read several books on electromagnetic theory and I can vouch for the completness of the theory, as a proof, you can look at the EM simulation software out there like CST, HFSS, COMSOL, FEKO, in which electric and magnetic fields are simulated with great precision, now gravity is a whole different thing, if you find what causes gravity you can go and collect your Nobel prize.

Back