SMPSU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RSRecords

Trying to put together a +24 and a 48v supply. I’ve been wanting to use a smps for sometime but have been hesitant. I know it’s totally doable and has been done for many years. I just don’t understand them as well as a linear design.
Anyway, I’m looking at using a 2.1amp GLc50-24 since I have one already and I know  API use them in some of their 500 series supplies.https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/373/sl%20power_glc50_ds-1203484.pdf

Any advice on filtering? I’m reading about using chokes and inductors but not sure where to start.

I haven’t decided on what 48v supply for phantom yet. So open to any recommendations.

Btw it’s for 8 channels of electrodyne preamps and line amps.

have you noticed in their spec sheet how the ripple in mV is exactly ten times the output voltage?

There are several other recent threads here covering SMPS filtering options. Should be worth a search.

Cheers

Ian

RSRecords said:
Trying to put together a +24 and a 48v supply. I’ve been wanting to use a smps for sometime but have been hesitant. I know it’s totally doable and has been done for many years. I just don’t understand them as well as a linear design.
Anyway, I’m looking at using a 2.1amp GLc50-24 since I have one already and I know  API use them in some of their 500 series supplies.https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/373/sl%20power_glc50_ds-1203484.pdf

Any advice on filtering? I’m reading about using chokes and inductors but not sure where to start.
I'm not familiar with this particular SMPS, since I've used only SunPower and XP power, but I found they are very easy to filter with an additional CLC filter. The first C is determined by the datasheet, in my case 100uF, then the inductor is a 10mm 12uH, followed by two 470uF, that is not Low-ESR. The units powerd by them are dead quiet.

I haven’t decided on what 48v supply for phantom yet. So open to any recommendations.
I would not hesitate to recommend one the XP power; there's a 5W and a 10W. You're probably aware that smps should not be underloaded, so teh 5W is probably the best bet for 8 channels. You'll have to load the smps with a resistor that draws about 2W. A 1.2K 5W resistor and an LED drawing another 20mA should do.

abbey road d enfer said:
I'm not familiar with this particular SMPS, since I've used only SunPower and XP power, but I found they are very easy to filter with an additional CLC filter. The first C is determined by the datasheet, in my case 100uF, then the inductor is a 10mm 12uH, followed by two 470uF, that is not Low-ESR. The units powerd by them are dead quiet.
I would not hesitate to recommend one the XP power; there's a 5W and a 10W. You're probably aware that smps should not be underloaded, so teh 5W is probably the best bet for 8 channels. You'll have to load the smps with a resistor that draws about 2W. A 1.2K 5W resistor and an LED drawing another 20mA should do.
Would this be the ECE05US48 model?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Would this be the ECE05US48 model?

Cheers

Ian
I was thinking of the VCE05US48. It's hard to tell the differences, apart from the obvious current rating, 100mA for the VCE, 125mA for the ECE.
The 10W would the VCE10US48.
I suspect the V series is cheaper than the E.

RS have a line of PC mount smps that are extremely cheap; I've ordered a pair of LDE15-24 for a new project. The verdict won't be before end of August though.

Thanks all! I wasn't getting response notices so I missed them.
I think I'm going to try the switching supplies just to check it out. I actually have a 4 amp power one if I need. Its just so heavy and overkill.

I think I'll use this one (and the 48v) https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/209-FCS60US24

abbey road d enfer said:
The first C is determined by the datasheet, in my case 100uF, then the inductor is a 10mm 12uH, followed by two 470uF, that is not Low-ESR. The units powerd by them are dead quiet.

I was looking through the data sheets and I didn't see anything about 100uf. Is that already on the supply?
Also, why high ESR caps? Low ESR is better for filtering right?

Something like this? https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/80-EST477M100AN5AA

RSRecords said:
I was looking through the data sheets and I didn't see anything about 100uf. Is that already on the supply?
You're correct. This "Maximum capacitive load" parameter is not always spec'd? Sometimes you have to find out what works. With too high a capacitive load, the smps wouldn't start or hiccup.

[/quote] Also, why high ESR caps? Low ESR is better for filtering right? [/quote] For about the same reason. Starting is more difficult on a low-ESR type.

You must be aware also that a smps should always deliver current, at least 1/10th of its nominal current. If not, it may probably go into hiccup mode.

abbey road d enfer said:
I was thinking of the VCE05US48. It's hard to tell the differences, apart from the obvious current rating, 100mA for the VCE, 125mA for the ECE.
The 10W would the VCE10US48.
I suspect the V series is cheaper than the E.

RS have a line of PC mount smps that are extremely cheap; I've ordered a pair of LDE15-24 for a new project. The verdict won't be before end of August though.

I ordered one of the ECE05US48 to try. I can't get over how small these are; just one inch square. I will check out the RS ones you mentioned.

Cheers

Ian

Did I mention that I have used these successfully?
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.295036faAGyutA&orderId=8017457909997913&productId=4000832991856
I tried the 15V versions for powering the rails directly. It just was too noisy.
Then I used the 24V version with CLC filters and linear regulators (LM317/337) and it is perfect, as clean as the former linear PSU. With three of those, I get +/- 18V audio rails plus a 24V ancillary rail for half the cost of the toroidal xfmr!

For some reason I get page not found when I follow the link you posted.

CLC  output filters seem to be the way to go.

Cheers

ian

ruffrecords said:
For some reason I get page not found when I follow the link you posted.
Well, I do,n't know why, it directs me to the Ali Express russian site. Here's the link to the french site (I hope...)
https://fr.aliexpress.com/af/Green-AC%25252dDC-Precision-Buck-Converter-AC.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=Green+AC-DC+Precision+Buck+Converter+AC&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200731082835

abbey road d enfer said:
Well, I do,n't know why, it directs me to the Ali Express russian site. Here's the link to the french site (I hope...)
https://fr.aliexpress.com/af/Green-AC%25252dDC-Precision-Buck-Converter-AC.html?d=y&origin=n&SearchText=Green+AC-DC+Precision+Buck+Converter+AC&catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20200731082835
That one worked fine.

Cheers

Ian

scott2000 said:
Why do I have that same feeling of when I used to try to keep up with the new software plug ins?...lol

Right, but I guess eventually you've got to go 64 bit aax!

Most companies are doing SMPS with great success (manley, crane song, Atomic, etc..) so it would behoove me to learn something about the way integrate. Plus they are smaller and more efficient. 

abbey road d enfer said:
Did I mention that I have used these successfully?
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.html?spm=a2g0s.9042647.0.0.295036faAGyutA&orderId=8017457909997913&productId=4000832991856
I get +/- 18V audio rails plus a 24V ancillary rail for half the cost of the toroidal xfmr!
How did you get the negative rail?  Do they sell one, or did you do something like connecting the positive output to 0V, and take the negative output from the "0V" of the module?

Matador said:
did you do something like connecting the positive output to 0V, and take the negative output from the "0V" of the module?
That's correct. These smps have floating outputs, you can connect them any way you like. E.g. you can stack two of them for 48V.

At Peavey we started using switching PS inside larger mixers last century. We didn't buy OEM power blocks but just rolled our own. For portable mixers the benefits of less size and weight (built inside, not external) are obvious, but the lower mains frequency hum field was an added bonus.

JR 

Building high-power smps is enough to occupy a whole lifetime. I'm not that patient.
I know the guys at Powersoft. They spent their evenings at uni making sm power amps and PS. One was designing, the other replaced the exploded FET's!  ;D

Back