Last I remember they were 3 micron, and now they are listed as 4 micron mylar.  Also, it looks like they have a US Warehouse now, so shipping times may be sooner! 

I ordered one from the US Warehouse @ $45 bucks and free shipping.  I'll let you guys know how it goes. 

Re: WGTCenter seems to have changed their capsule design for K87.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 12:33:53 AM »
Here is a link if anyone is curious.  Notice at the top it says "LOCAL WAREHOUSE" with a drop down menu option for US Warehouse and also Russian Warehouse. 

https://wgtcenter.com/products/microphone-34mm-mylar-capsule-large-diaphragm-condenser-double-sided-k67-k870-mount-for-neumann-tlm-103-mic-diy-professional-replacement-universal

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »
You're not guaranteed something from a US warehouse. That's what I picked and it still ended up being shipped from China and took 2 months to arrive. Stuff I've ordered on AliExpress takes a a few weeks to one month. Don't know if Alibaba is the same, but I'd sooner order the edge terminated capsules from AliExpress (yes, they're on there now, K67s too) than order anything from WGTcenter. Their own provided tracking showed my order wasn't shipped until a month after my order was placed. The support rep I talked to insisted it was sent on time and provided me the exact same tracking I already used.

Also keep in mind WGTcenter doesn't make the capsules. They just resell ones made by Chinese companies like Ningbo Shengke/iSK.

I'd avoid dealing with them altogether if you can find similar capsules on AliExpress. You will find the same things on Alibaba and some sellers will sell you individual units. Or just buy from 797, they only charge about $60 USD IIRC.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »
Mine is coming from California.  Seems to have shipped the next day since I ordered it at night!  That’s quick shipping!  I guess I got lucky

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 02:46:56 PM »
Kimo,
Give us a report when your capsule arrives. I'm curious how long it took to get to you and any other thoughts on it.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 04:14:25 PM »
Hey guys!  I just received it today and it looks to be in good condition, no visible defects and it sounds great.  Shipping was fast.  I am pleasantly surprised.  The shipping came from LA.  So Im assuming their warehouse is there, not surprised as its a hub for Asia.  They shipped it through DHL -> USPS.  Shipping took about 6 days, which is better than 2-3 weeks coming from China.  I'll take it. 

As far as the sound, it sounds pretty similar...so if they increased the mylar micron from 3 to 4, it's not very noticeable as far as sound goes.  Sounds good imho.  I think the circuit is probably more of a factor in how my mic sounds at this point. 

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2020, 12:04:41 PM »
Thanks for the update, Kimo! Happy to hear it worked out great for you.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2020, 10:11:59 AM »
After more work with it, there is a difference in sound. 

The 3micron capsules have ALOT more midrange wonky ness, the newer 4 micron sounds ALOT more smoother, I think they've been tuned a little lower.  Im not sure, I can't really comment on that.  All I know is that there is an audible difference with my voice in the 2.5khz range, it's very tame there, unlike the 3micron capsules which are more 2.5khz range forward. 

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 12:04:56 PM »
Interesting! A couple of NAMM shows back, I was chatting with Mic Parts Matt about "flatter-than-expected" China-made K67 capsules and, FWIW, he was talking up his RK-87 in this regard. I wonder if this WGT capsule is similar/same. Either way, reading about your experience has compelled me to give WGT another try. At $45 delivered, it's kinda too tempting to give it a shot and just find out for myself.
Thanks Kimo!

Update: So, I put in my order a few minutes past 11am my time and by 12:30 was emailed a shipping notification and DHL tracking number.  They probably don't deliver on Saturdays/weekends, so guessing it'll be here monday since it's shipping from the other side of L.A. Not bad.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 04:08:43 PM by Wordsushi »

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2020, 06:10:10 PM »
Nice!  Which capsule did you end up going with? 

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »
Their double-sided K67. If it arrives without issue, at that price, I'm thinking I may also order the k67-backplate edge terminated capsule next week for the heck of it.

RuudNL

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2020, 06:18:20 AM »
FWIW: I have measured many K67/K87 capsules.
The result; they are all different!
The height of the peak around 8-10 KHz. (in dB) is different, and some cheaper capsules have a 'dip' just before the peak starts!
The 'better' capsules (such as Neumann) don't have that dip.
Some K67/K87 capsules even don't have a noticable HF boost, making a change necessary if you replace an existing capsule.

By the way: words as 'smoother' don't mean much to me. I want to see facts and figures! A correctly measured frequency response usually gives a good impression what you can expect from a capsule.

WGT center has always been a nightmare for me... If you receive someting, in 9 out of 10 cases it is not what you ordered!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 12:54:14 PM by RuudNL »
There is a solution for every problem!

http://www.vansteenisaudio.nl

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 12:07:24 AM »
Yeah sorry I meant audibly it doesn’t have the 2.5 kHz boost my other wgt center capsule had.  “Smoother” is just an easy way for me to explain it.  The older wgtcenter capsule I have is really peaky around the 2-2.5khz range.  This new one doesn’t have that and it seems to be more tamed throughout.  Could be due to the slightly thicker Mylar...could be luck of the draw I’m not sure.  Only speculating.