Holger

Buying transformers in the EU
« on: July 30, 2020, 07:03:07 AM »
I’ve placed an order at Sowter on April 28th. Yesterday I’ve asked kindly for a shipping update, I was told that I had to wait another two to three weeks.
For my taste this manufacturing time is a bit too long, even in times of Corona.

When it comes to special output transformers, Sowter seems to be the only source on this planet, but for some decent 1:10 mic input transformers Jensen and Cinemag have some good alternatives.
Can anyone in the EU share how long it would take to buy from them?

s2udio

Re: Buying transformers in the EU
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 11:25:20 AM »
Quite normal for Sowter, had wait 4 weeks for the TX's for my DLA2......and that was not in the caroni period, and in the UK
They are a very small company now and keep very little shelf stock.
On the end of a Rural Twisted Pair.

Ricardus

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 11:40:12 AM »
Quite normal for Sowter, had wait 4 weeks for the TX's for my DLA2......and that was not in the caroni period, and in the UK
They are a very small company now and keep very little shelf stock.

Exactly. They build everything to order.
Audio mastering for hire..

12afael

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 01:25:26 PM »
If I remember correctly Volker was complaining about Haufe delivery times too.  seems to be industry standard...  :P
heavy metal is the law!!!

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 01:31:11 PM »
I’ve placed an order at Sowter on April 28th. Yesterday I’ve asked kindly for a shipping update, I was told that I had to wait another two to three weeks.
For my taste this manufacturing time is a bit too long, even in times of Corona.

When it comes to special output transformers, Sowter seems to be the only source on this planet, but for some decent 1:10 mic input transformers Jensen and Cinemag have some good alternatives.
Can anyone in the EU share how long it would take to buy from them?
Can't you buy Haufe transformers?
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

Holger

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2020, 02:33:56 PM »
;-)
I once had an email conversation/inquiry about 10k:10k transformers. In their reply mail they asked about the quantities.
I answered: 10.
Never heard from them again...

wlinart

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2020, 02:58:52 PM »
Maybe try this Dutch company: https://www.toroidal-transformer.com/shop/pro-audio/signal-transformers.html
(never tried them myself, but it seems that they have some nice ones for decent prices)

ruffrecords

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 05:08:28 PM »
Looks like Sowter got taken over by the Carnhill audio transformer empire and I believe Brian Sowter is no longer a director. I do not know if this affects things or not. Normal Sowter delivery is four weeks or less in my experience.

On the other hand I have had lots of dealings lately with OEP (also owned by Carnhill) and their service has been first class.

Cheers

Ian
www.customtubeconsoles.com
https://mark3vtm.blogspot.co.uk/
www.eztubemixer.blogspot.co.uk

'The only people not making mistakes are the people doing nothing'