Buying transformers in the EU

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holger

GDIY Supporter
I’ve placed an order at Sowter on April 28th. Yesterday I’ve asked kindly for a shipping update, I was told that I had to wait another two to three weeks.
For my taste this manufacturing time is a bit too long, even in times of Corona.

When it comes to special output transformers, Sowter seems to be the only source on this planet, but for some decent 1:10 mic input transformers Jensen and Cinemag have some good alternatives.
Can anyone in the EU share how long it would take to buy from them?

Quite normal for Sowter, had wait 4 weeks for the TX's for my DLA2......and that was not in the caroni period, and in the UK
They are a very small company now and keep very little shelf stock.

If I remember correctly Volker was complaining about Haufe delivery times too.  seems to be industry standard...  :p

Holger said:
I’ve placed an order at Sowter on April 28th. Yesterday I’ve asked kindly for a shipping update, I was told that I had to wait another two to three weeks.
For my taste this manufacturing time is a bit too long, even in times of Corona.

When it comes to special output transformers, Sowter seems to be the only source on this planet, but for some decent 1:10 mic input transformers Jensen and Cinemag have some good alternatives.
Can anyone in the EU share how long it would take to buy from them?
Can't you buy Haufe transformers?

Looks like Sowter got taken over by the Carnhill audio transformer empire and I believe Brian Sowter is no longer a director. I do not know if this affects things or not. Normal Sowter delivery is four weeks or less in my experience.

On the other hand I have had lots of dealings lately with OEP (also owned by Carnhill) and their service has been first class.

Cheers

Ian

Was a long time since I ordered from Sowter , was only a week or two I had to wait back then . 5 months waiting is a major pain .
Brian was always generous with advice and specs too , unfortunately no point in expecting the same level of service from the new entity. 

Tubetec said:
Was a long time since I ordered from Sowter , was only a week or two I had to wait back then . 5 months waiting is a major pain .
Brian was always generous with advice and specs too , unfortunately no point in expecting the same level of service from the new entity.

In reality when I have chased them up on the transformers they have been quick to respond, but only to tell me they were going to take an extra 3 weeks over the 12 they quoted when I placed the order.    They also said they have a skeleton staff currently due to covid & production is slow.  What I suspect is that they ran the stock levels down prior to taking over from Brian so they didn't have to shift stuff from Ipswich to Peterborough.

gyraf said:
..Lundahl usually takes four or five days to Denmark - if you buy certain types regularily, they simply  keep stock..

Wow really, you can now order directly from them? Last time I was going to closest distributor because that's the way they do business. The model I wanted was stocked nowhere so I approached Lundahl directly if they could sell them to me. I was answered by mr. Lundahl himself that it is very rude to do this that he would be undercutting his distributors, this is impolite etc. :D That was one bizarre transaction straight from the seventies.

[edit]

They have a webshop now! Good for them.

Latest posts

Back