80/20 Construction

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

Here are a couple of things I made from 80/20 T-Slot framing.  A stand for a Neumann AM-131 lathe and a 19" rack for the VG66 amplifier rack and SP66 console.

AM131_Setup-1.jpg

AM131_Setup-2.jpg

AM131_Setup-3.jpg

AM131_Setup-4.jpg

AM131_Setup-5.jpg

Darn, that is beautiful work...  :eek:

What version of PEV's are those? I only have them, and seen them, in waay toned-down colors...?  And why four of them?

That Neumann meter driver units to the far right in that same rack - are they not meant to drive a different type meters (bakelite-frame, white and red label, reverse-acting and strange elastic-feeling ballistics) I have a box with them somewhere, but never really gotten them interfacing to real-world?

/Jakob E.

The SP66 console has both VU meter buffer cards VU66 and a U79t correlation meter driver. Behind the door are  PV46 line amps, EE66 elliptical EQ,  VU 66 meter cards,  and the U79 correlation meter.  I also have the light beam meters but the rack isn’t tall enough to fit them.

The PEV are just plain PEV.  Not PEVa. There were two versions. One had 60HZ as the low frequency center frequency and the others had 100Hz. These are 100Hz.  There are four because it’s a four channel console. Two Preview channels and two Modulation channels.

This lathe was owned by Shure. It was the lathe used to make the test records. The SP66 came out of Masterdisk.

I thought there would be interest in the rack and stand. I've refined my 80/20 construction skills and like the way these have come out. The casters on the lathe stand will be replaced with spring isolators when the lathe is ready to cut.

Since there is interest in the SP66 console here is a shot of the audio card cage. From left to right there are four PV46 Line Amplifiers, two VU66 meter buffers, two EE66 Elliptical EQ's. and the U79t Correlation Meter driver. The DC power supplies are in the cage below it. There is a separate DC power supply for each channel.

AM131_Setup-6.jpg

Here is a shot of the Monitor panel. It was meant to integrate with the VG66 amplifier rack.  The VG66 is directly below it. That drives the cutterhead on the lathe.

AM131_Setup-7.jpg

All Neumann cutting consoles could either be supplied in a console or in a rack mount version. The console version of the SP66 came with a Telefunken M10 tape transport that was set up as a preview deck. The electronics were supplied by a Rundfunk contractor. I forget but maybe he one that starts with an M. I forget.

john12ax7 said:
Nice work.  Are you cutting things yourself or just ordering pre-cut?

I order pre cut but I can cut it myself. The time and mess I save is well worth the money. I found the perfect chop saw for it though. It has a 7" blade with a 1HP motor. Most have 1/2 -3/4HP which isn't powerful enough. I also have a 14" chop saw with a 12" blade but unless it is lit very well it can be hard to see scribe lines.

gyraf said:
That Neumann meter driver units to the far right in that same rack -

The rack with the PEV's has RR66 Level Adjusters directly to their right. This is a passive attenuator with Preview Offset Level above the main attenuator. To the right of the RR66's are the HT66 passive HPF/LPF.  The PEV's act as an Input  Line Receiver. They also drive the passive RR66. After the RR66 is the EE66 Eliptical EQ which also acts as an input  buffer for the passive HT66 HPF/LPF. Then comes the PV46 Line Amp which feeds the outside world.

I need to add a microscope and vacuum system to the lathe. I’ll also need a tonearm mount. While I’m at it I’ll add a Buchmann-Meyer light. It’s a light at a certain angle that will show a pattern on a record with a frequency sweep or set of tones.

I will also eventually mount an external automated pitch motor.  With the t slot framing adding on anything I need is just a fastener away. The lathe stand weighs less than ten pounds.

I will cut any 80/20 stock I need for the add ons. I kind of wing it. Having the flexibility when doing that more exacting stuff helps.

Latest posts

Back