Suggestions for Cam system for recording studio

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonolink

Hello all,

I'd like to setup some camera/screen system  that can be used to see from room to room in my recording studio.  It has a Control Room and 2 Recording rooms.

Ideally the system would be cheap and easy ( 8)), low latency, no auto shut off (will run all day every day), low light performance and any other thing you might find important.

Any suggestions? 
Thanks!
Sono

Hi,

I use a cheap security cam with network capability.

Nothing fancy, quite low res and not low latency. But for me it's good enough, i can see when the perfomer took the headphones off and can't hear me anymore. Or when he answers with a nod...  ::)

A more fancy solution might be tablets in each room and use discord/signal/skype... could use raspbery pi for that. But still not low latency...

Cheers,

Thomas

A Raspberry Pi with a motioneye Image, connect LAN or WLAN cams and via any device with a browser you can watch one or all cams via the browser. Smartphones, cheap Android Pads or a computer monitor with another Raspberry Pi for instance.

https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneye/wiki

Check out drone cameras. Low latency, cheap, small.
They’re surprisingly good.
Can even get wireless transmitters etc..

mrclunk said:
Check out drone cameras. Low latency, cheap, small.
They’re surprisingly good.
Can even get wireless transmitters etc..

That sounds pretty interesting. I guess I would need some board of some sort to connect each camera to, some wifi system and some soft to manage cameras and screens and then connect it to the studio computer or some computer, right?

Cheers
Sono

They output a composite video signal, so you can plug them straight into some displays/TVs.
The biggest delay will be the display processing time, upscaling etc. 

I toyed with getting the latency low enough for a conductor but it's near impossible without CRT's. Worked out you need a delay less than approx 40ms.

sonolink said:
Thanks for the info. I'll look into that although I'm a bit noob in that field.

Cheers
Sono
I have tried several systems, all wireless. LAN/WiFi is a waste of time because excessive latency.
I use the system as video cue between booths and main studio area. I had many issues with range because the different places are distant and separated by concrete and metal.
Recently I found a high-power system (500mW IIRC) 5.8 GHz that works fine.
I'm not at home now but I can give you the reference in a couple of days.

Recently I found a high-power system (500mW IIRC) 5.8 GHz that works fine.
Check that's legal where you live, in the UK the limit is 25mW without a licence.
Might mess up your neighbours wifi!

sonolink said:
Wow that would be awesome Abbey.

Thanks a lot :)
Sono
I didn't remember correctly. It's not a 5.8G system, it's 1.2G
https://www.banggood.com/fr/1_2G-TX1000-1W-1000mW-8CH-Transmitter-RX02-12CH-Receiver-FPV-Combo-Up-to-3km-p-1191192.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

sonolink said:
Thanks a lot for remembering Abbey! :)

So I'd need one of these, one camera and a monitor for each room right?

Cheers
Sono
Sorry, didn't see your question. You need only one monitor and one receiver, because the receiver can receive all channels. Now if you want to watch them simultaneously, you need one receiver per room and either as many monitors or one monitor and a video multiplexer such as this one
https://www.cctvcameraworld.com/8-channel-video-processor-dual-page-quad.html

Latest posts

Back