Youtube audio EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I don't normally listen to music on Youtube but it seems it is now the most popular streaming source. My mate Bob (for whom I recorded 15 albums) contacted me to tell me his songs are appearing in play lists all over Youtube. Out of curiosity I listened to a few tracks through a decent interfae and speakers. The quality was not bad but what struck me was the EQ that has been applied. The result is many tracks have an awful lot of sibilance on the vocals that was definitely not there in the originals. Anyone else noticed this? Anyone any idea what precessing or EQ Youtube applies?

Cheers

Ian

Interesting, I thought it was just normalizing or limiting.  I've heard plenty of dialogue-related TY vids that sound like they are absent any form of post-processing, in terrible need of makeup gain.

I've heard that the maximum quality of YouTube is 192Kbps, I've had mixes uplodaed to YouTube, never noticed added EQ.

MagnetoSound said:
I think it’s often applied by the uploader prior to submission.

Lots of folks think they know how to ‘master’ these days.

All Bob's music is aggregated by Routenote. I have checked some other streaming services they feed (Google, Deezer) and the tracks sound as intended. It's just Youtube that sounds different.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
All Bob's music is aggregated by Routenote. I have checked some other streaming services they feed (Google, Deezer) and the tracks sound as intended. It's just Youtube that sounds different.

Cheers

Ian

Ah, so maybe something in the playback engine?

MagnetoSound said:
Ah, so maybe something in the playback engine?
I am suspicious of it. When I hot plugged from the internal PC audio to an external USB one, youtube started playing at half speed. Unplug USB and internal sound card plays at correct speed. Plug USB interface back in and it was half speed. Exited youtube and restarted it. USB interface then plays at normal speed. BTW this is on Linix

I will try booting with USB interface plugged in. I will also try on a windows laptop with an external USB interface.

Cheers

Ian

I’ve not heard a significant difference in audio uploaded to YouTube, and am not aware of them applying any eq.

Latest posts

Back