Just realized that I've slept for 28 hours straight

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37518

Yeap, I went to sleep on Saturday at 3pm and woke up today Sunday 7pm, that's 28 hours straight with the occasional bathroom visit, I feel rested but my body aches, I guess that being static for so long can't be that good.  Anyone with a similar experience?

BTW I wasn't drunk nor drugged, but I had one hell of a week with 2-4 hours of sleep on average.

yup... the body gets its sleep...

a) when I was drafted and trying to make time pass quickly at Ft Riley KS, I would give myself a few dollar budget each night to hustle pool in Manhattan KS...a college town near the Army base. I'd drink 3.2% beer (ugh) and play pool until I either ran out of money or the bars closed... Then ASSuming I had a winning night, which occurred more often than not, I would move over to a private club and spend my winnings on real beer... I would often be drinking with officers from the army base in the private club... The private clubs would close when people stopped drinking, often 3AM or later... I would crawl home for a few winks but have to be back up and out again around 5:30AM to hitch hike back onto the army base... (some nights if I lost at pool I would get more sleep  ::) ). Hitchhiking*** wasn't that hard because there were a couple ten thousand troops all going to work at the same place and same time. I would catch a short cat nap every week day at lunchtime. I would drink seriously this way all week until early saturday morning then sleep all day saturday only to wake up in time for saturday night.

b) In the 70s-80s I would free run working in my kit business and consulting until I got tired, then unplug my phone, and sleep until I woke up.  I transferred my kit business phone calls to my sister in law to answer while I slept... I would routinely free run on a longer than 24 hour cycle.

During my army daze,,, I would sleep maybe 15 hours once a week every saturday... During my free running kit business days I probably slept a solid 8-10 hours at a pop but randomly sleeping in daylight or darkness segments on the longer than 24 hour cycle.

Now as a tired old man I find myself retiring earlier and getting up early too... the cliches about being old are are based on reality.

JR

**** one time I overslept and trying to hitch hike onto the army base after morning rush hour was much harder.... I finally got a ride with a JAG lawyer around 9AM  and remarkably didn't get busted for being AWOL when I showed up late. I was AWOL (late)  one other time when I was flying back to the army base after a leave and the last leg of my flight was unable to land in the local airport because of fog. The flight had to land in a different airport making me a couple hours AWOL. I survived that too. 

My guess is the body itself is happy enough with light sleep ,just the act of laying down takes much stress off the joints ,muscles and bones ,  the mind however needs a deep shut down to be able to enter recovery mode.
28 hours is also a long time without food or liquid , most certainly enough time for the body to enter into burning fat or even muscle burn in the abscence adequate fat reserves , maybe thats part of the reason we sometimes wake feeling without energy despite having slept well .
I once before got into a patern of minimal food consumption , about 2-4 hours sleep a night , after about a week of that I found myself behaving more like something in a trench war situation .
Make sure your getting you daily required intake of calories otherwise your relying on stored fat or muscle to bridge the gap , and although a hungry belly can keen the senses at times , a prolonged spell without proper food or sleep can easily leave you in a downward spiral .

If you are coming down from years of weed and drink as a night cap theres bound to be a re-adjustment , routine is key , more healthy food choices is a great way to get the ball rolling in the right direction though. I've always allowed myself at least a couple of days a week without drink or dope because months or years of escapism can in itself be hard to escape , a good old buddy of mine who passed away at 39 years old having had all kinds of addictions said , 'theres no point in running ,when there you are '.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpRM91VLb9A

Im not religious in the slightest but I still like that song  :)

I wish I could do that.  lately I have constantly been tired and not sleeping well.  Plus of coffee intake has changed up  to where I cut down a ton.  Nothing like a nap for a good 20-30 mins to recharge but would prefer a long sleep.

pucho812 said:
I wish I could do that.  lately I have constantly been tired and not sleeping well.  Plus of coffee intake has changed up  to where I cut down a ton.  Nothing like a nap for a good 20-30 mins to recharge but would prefer a long sleep.
I roast my own coffee beans so was inclined to drink so much it affected my sleep patterns. I started substituting decaffeinated coffee for my second pot of the day (mid afternoon). Commercial decaf coffee generally sucks because they use the cheapest coffee beans they can find, and extract the caffeine with solvents.  I am able to buy quality green coffee beans decaffeinated using a water process, so self-roasted decaf can taste as good as high test, just without the caffeine kick..

These days I stopped making  my second pot of decaf daily, but every two weeks I roast up a half pound of good decaf for my neighbor's widow who is even older than me.  It is a simple pleasure and she appreciates it because store bought decaf is like you know.  :eek:
======
Just like we don't see cat skeletons up in trees because they will come down by themselves eventually, our body will force us to sleep eventually sometimes at inconvenient times. The body can do quite well on only a couple hours a night for extended periods, maybe a short cat nap mid day. The old joke says there are two things you can't catch up on and one of them is sleeping (use your imagination about what the other is, but also done in bed). Kind of true you can't make up for long term sleep deficits but in the short term a decent snooze session can recharge your batteries and normalize your systems.

Mental stress can keep us awake worrying about some impending drama, and stimulants (like caffeine) consumed too late in the day can have some effect on our alerting mechanism. If you have trouble sleeping the best thing is not to "think" about it, but that is easier said than done. I have heard about breathing exercises that reportedly work, like counting sheep, but focussing on inhaling and exhaling.

JR

PS: There are some amusing stories about embarrassing things like eating or worse, that people have done while asleep after taking a popular sleeping aid.

JohnRoberts said:
I roast my own coffee beans so was inclined to drink so much it affected my sleep patterns. I started substituting decaffeinated coffee for my second pot of the day (mid afternoon). Commercial decaf coffee generally sucks because they use the cheapest coffee beans they can find, and extract the caffeine with solvents.  I am able to buy quality green coffee beans decaffeinated using a water process, so self-roasted decaf can taste as good as high test, just without the caffeine kick..

These days I stopped making  my second pot of decaf daily, but every two weeks I roast up a half pound of good decaf for my neighbor's widow who is even older than me.  It is a simple pleasure and she appreciates it because store bought decaf is like you know.  :eek:
======
Just like we don't see cat skeletons up in trees because they will come down by themselves eventually, our body will force us to sleep eventually sometimes at inconvenient times. The body can do quite well on only a couple hours a night for extended periods, maybe a short cat nap mid day. The old joke says there are two things you can't catch up on and one of them is sleeping (use your imagination about what the other is, but also done in bed). Kind of true you can't make up for long term sleep deficits but in the short term a decent snooze session can recharge your batteries and normalize your systems.

Mental stress can keep us awake worrying about some impending drama, and stimulants (like caffeine) consumed too late in the day can have some effect on our alerting mechanism. If you have trouble sleeping the best thing is not to "think" about it, but that is easier said than done. I have heard about breathing exercises that reportedly work, like counting sheep, but focussing on inhaling and exhaling.

JR

PS: There are some amusing stories about embarrassing things like eating or worse, that people have done while asleep after taking a popular sleeping aid.

honestly I think it's due to my caffeine intake change up.  it dropped way below normal levels for some time now.  so my body is trying to get used to it and it has not done so yet.

I just did two nights at 13 and 12 hours....  I had been running myself pretty ragged with work, I feel recharged now.  I thought that was a long time to sleep, and imagine 28 hours...

Latest posts

Back