Current capsule options (Aug. 2020): Edge and center-terminated

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midwayfair

My band and I are recording again, but since we're all split up AND I haven't built anything in a while, I wanted to farm out some extra LDCs.

I'm going to be building a couple FET mic similar to the Km84 schematic that I've used a few times for center-terminated and once for edge-terminated, and a tube mic that I would like to be center terminated (I have an edge terminated build I love already).

I'll be keeping the tube mic so I'm probably getting Dan's D7.

I'm a little out of the loop with the capsule options, and while I would very much like to get another edge capsule from Tim Campbell, that's a bit too much of an ask for a mic I'm basically giving away to a friend.

But anyway, this leaves me with wanting one each of budget, or almost budget, 47-style and edge-terminated capsules.

I got a couple center terminated capsules from a group buy, one of which was good and the other of which was okay, and I got a good center terminated Mic Parts capsule, which is increasingly expensive for a China-made capsule even if i do trust their QC. Where else is worth a look?

For a bit under $200 you can get the awesome M7 capsule from 3U Audio.  It is "smoother" than the typical K47-style capsules from the usual sources.  I have 2, one in Dan's D-47FET and one in a Fox mod Apex 460B, and they seem worth it to me. 

The edge-terminated AK12 from Advanced Audio is what I am putting into an old AKG C414 EB P48 that needs rebuilding.  I have not yet tried Dave's AK47, but that is next on my list.  I've had good luck with a couple of medium-priced K-47 and C-12 style edge-terminated capsules from US resellers on *Bay, but that is a crap shoot.

WTGCenter has some new specs for their capsules, as mentioned in a recent thread.  I sprang for their CK12 and K47 a few weeks ago, but have not received them yet.

Thinking of budget... Dany’s M7 is a good option. Maiku is good, but I’d choose something else for K47-type. Beesneez is good, but prices can change dramatically. They’re far up right now. Luke Audio is a good option.

Good one, the same MP sells, Telefunken for their ar51, etc...

https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId=60728083275&type=product&schema=enalibaba%3A%2F%2Fdetail%3Fid%3D60728083275%26ck%3Dshare_detail&ck=share_detail&shareScene=buyer

Other than that for electret projects killer capsule, and i know it's hard to believe having the price in mind.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_dUcg2x4

I would go maiku, they’re killer!  I have their k47 and k87, and they sound very similar to much more expensive capsules - I don’t feel like I’m missing anything At all with them.

The family tuning is a bit dark and smooth in comparison to others I have (beesneez, poctop, heiserman, neumann).  But they are not better or worse than any of these imo.

doqmemory said:
For a bit under $200 you can get the awesome M7 capsule from 3U Audio.  It is "smoother" than the typical K47-style capsules from the usual sources.  I have 2, one in Dan's D-47FET and one in a Fox mod Apex 460B, and they seem worth it to me. 

The edge-terminated AK12 from Advanced Audio is what I am putting into an old AKG C414 EB P48 that needs rebuilding.  I have not yet tried Dave's AK47, but that is next on my list.  I've had good luck with a couple of medium-priced K-47 and C-12 style edge-terminated capsules from US resellers on *Bay, but that is a crap shoot.

WTGCenter has some new specs for their capsules, as mentioned in a recent thread.  I sprang for their CK12 and K47 a few weeks ago, but have not received them yet.
I'd love to know what you think of the new "CK12" capsule from WGT Center.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Advanced Audio for the center-terminated, I'll make some other decision on the 47-style budget capsule after building that one.

midwayfair said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'm going to go with Advanced Audio for the center-terminated, I'll make some other decision on the 47-style budget capsule after building that one.
I'd recommend Maiku over Advanced Audio. RuudNL says the Maiku K67 is very close sounding to Neumann's capsule. I've used their "CK12" capsule and it sounds good. Haven't compared it to the competition though. B stock Maikus are roughly $100, which is a bit more expensive than some of the Advanced Audio capsules, but I think it's worth it.

rockinrob86 said:
I would go maiku, they’re killer!  I have their k47 and k87, and they sound very similar to much more expensive capsules - I don’t feel like I’m missing anything At all with them.

The family tuning is a bit dark and smooth in comparison to others I have (beesneez, poctop, heiserman, neumann).  But they are not better or worse than any of these imo.

Out of all of the K47 types, which would you say is closest to the Neumann? Eg most revealing mids with least amount of harshness?

I would not put 797 in the same group.

797 is a military contractor, insanely consistent, and i would even dare to call them more consistent than Neumanns. I have measured over 20 of their k67 that were produced within a span of 20 years. They all measured within +-1db! Neumanns are all over the place, not just with FR response. I suspect this actually contributed to the mythical status of Neumanns. The same goes for CK12.

They also provide certificate and measurement for every capsule bought from them. Townsend Labs opted for their k67 inside Sphere modeling mic because of consistency. Their edge terminated is in Slate ML1. It's a flat circuit, so this capsule is the source of all the hype around the mic.

They also make calibrated measurement microphones that are at the same level as B&K. Doug Ford of Røde uses both and claims they are virtually the same, and interchangeable.

One may not like how they sound, or because they are found in Behringers, but they are also found in Soundelux, Bock, Rode Classic +++ Many boutique manufacturers move away from these, as the don't want their mics to have anything in common with Behringer, not because of the sound.

One has to take into consideration off axis response and F8, omni responses, PE, as well how well both sides are matched/work together.
Do you compress your vocals, or anything for that matter? Drum room, overheads? You might be surprised how much of your sound is actually off axis.

They have by far thinnest layer of gold i've seen, which no one to my knowledge takes into consideration. This attributes to overall diaphragm thickness, stiffness, transient response, and high end detail.

To me, their k67 is by far the best mass produced capsule out there. But yes, they are chinese and cost 30$, so i get it's hard to understand how they can compete with 300$ capsules.

Last edited:
Thanks this is very helpful.

I'm certainly not an expert on supply chains in China, I can only go by what I observed in the physical samples that I've tested over the years.  For example, the AA edge terminated capsule has green colored backplates (same as Rayking), however the mylar didn't look the same, and the edge screws around the capsule perimeter were different as well.  I also know that there are many other 'traditional' microphone companies that are sourcing brass from Chinese companies and doing the assembly themselves, which muddies the waters even more when comparing visually.

What seems clear is that there are several layers of supply chains here, possibly with brass parts coming from supplier A, going to integration company B which may (or may not) be doing some amount of assembly, further having mylar work done at company C, etc. Or there may be complete control end-to-end (which may be 797's case).

Matador said:
Thanks this is very helpful.

I'm certainly not an expert on supply chains in China, I can only go by what I observed in the physical samples that I've tested over the years.  For example, the AA edge terminated capsule has green colored backplates (same as Rayking), however the mylar didn't look the same, and the edge screws around the capsule perimeter were different as well.  I also know that there are many other 'traditional' microphone companies that are sourcing brass from Chinese companies and doing the assembly themselves, which muddies the waters even more when comparing visually.

What seems clear is that there are several layers of supply chains here, possibly with brass parts coming from supplier A, going to integration company B which may (or may not) be doing some amount of assembly, further having mylar work done at company C, etc. Or there may be complete control end-to-end (which may be 797's case).
I think Rayking's AliExpress store sells the edge terminated ones with flat heads and Phillips heads, so I think they're just different revisions or models of the same capsule.

To me, their k67 is by far the best mass produced capsule out there. But yes, they are chinese and cost 30$, so i get it's hard to understand how they can compete with 300$ capsules.

This is extremely compelling coming from the great KingKorg.
I missed the last capsule group buy, but if we join forces to do another, I would seriously consider placing an inquiry with 797microphone.com.

797 is a military contractor, insanely consistent, and i would even dare to call them more consistent than Neumanns. I have measured over 20 of their k67 that were produced within a span of 20 years. They all measured within +-1db! Neumanns are all over the place, not just with FR response. I suspect this actually contributed to the mythical status of Neumanns. The same goes for CK12.

They also provide certificate and measurement for every capsule bought from them. Townsend Labs opted for their k67 inside Sphere modeling mic because of consistency. Their edge terminated is in Slate ML1. It's a flat circuit, so this capsule is the source of all the hype around the mic.

They also make calibrated measurement microphones that are at the same level as B&K. Doug Ford of Røde uses both and claims they are virtually the same, and interchangeable.

One may not like how they sound, or because they are found in Behringers, but they are also found in Soundelux, Bock, Rode Classic +++ Many boutique manufacturers move away from these, as the don't want their mics to have anything in common with Behringer, not because of the sound.

One has to take into consideration off axis response and F8, omni responses, PE, as well how well both sides are matched/work together.
Do you compress your vocals, or anything for that matter? Drum room, overheads? You might be surprised how much of your sound is actually off axis.

They have by far thinnest layer of gold i've seen, which no one to my knowledge takes into consideration. This attributes to overall diaphragm thickness, stiffness, transient response, and high end detail.

Reviving the thread as a new reader and new to microphone repairs/mods!

I read your information about Chinese capsule manufacturers, and you seem that you know your way!
I am searching for links on aliexpress for 797audio capsules but i find none. I can find some of their microphones but no single capsules.

I saw in their site that you can ask for quotation but i am too shy to ask a quotation on a large factory for one or two mic capsules only.

Any advise?

I read your information about Chinese capsule manufacturers, and you seem that you know your way!
I am searching for links on aliexpress for 797audio capsules but i find none. I can find some of their microphones but no single capsules.

I saw in their site that you can ask for quotation but i am too shy to ask a quotation on a large factory for one or two mic capsules only.

Any advise?
Just do it, contact them, they will respond and sell you the stuff.

Since this thread was bumped, I will I think the capsules used in the Behringer B2 Pro sound great. They're bright, but they I think the shape of the high frequency boost is at least relatively consistent so you don't get that boxy sound you get with something like the RK47, and you don't get that kind of sibilant think sound you get from some of the K67 copies where they're boosted significantly (like 8-10dB) at somewhere really high like 15K but the upper mids aren't really boosted (like how the Advanced Audio CM87 sounds to me). How close that one actually comes to an authentic K67, I'm not sure but it definitely sounds better

Any advise?
They will sell you small orders, you message them with what you want, they'll quote you a price, and you wire them the money. You won't get the same pricing as if you ordered a bunch of capsules, but it should still be relatively affordable compared to the boutique capsules. You could always order Takstar's capsule from JLI as well.
Just do it, contact them, they will respond and sell you the stuff.
If someone were going for a cheap somewhat accurate K67 would you recommend the Takstar capsule that's in the AKG P420 or one of the 797 capsule?

Since this thread was bumped, I will I think the capsules used in the Behringer B2 Pro sound great. They're bright, but they I think the shape of the high frequency boost is at least relatively consistent so you don't get that boxy sound you get with something like the RK47, and you don't get that kind of sibilant think sound you get from some of the K67 copies where they're boosted significantly (like 8-10dB) at somewhere really high like 15K but the upper mids aren't really boosted (like how the Advanced Audio CM87 sounds to me). How close that one actually comes to an authentic K67, I'm not sure but it definitely sounds better

They will sell you small orders, you message them with what you want, they'll quote you a price, and you wire them the money. You won't get the same pricing as if you ordered a bunch of capsules, but it should still be relatively affordable compared to the boutique capsules. You could always order Takstar's capsule from JLI as well.

If someone were going for a cheap somewhat accurate K67 would you recommend the Takstar capsule that's in the AKG P420 or one of the 797 capsule?
Takstar (p420) one is closer to Neumann's. The one found in B2 is not the right shape, it is closer to C800 response. The one found in Townsend Labs Sphere is closer in shape to the original, but still bright.

Using brighter capsule but of the same FR shape could be a good idea. Use more of deemphasis filter, you get to the same target frequency response but you get less noise than the original ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back