Output issue with Behringer ADA8000

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bjorn218 said:
You mentioned the RME Total Mix, yeah I am still not fully confident with that software either.  Seems to not want to allow me to assign the outputs to anything else but 1/2 in the software  but it doesn’t seem to see the ADA

This thread is really confusing...
Like Khron is not really clear to me how are you doing things.

I have a feeling that you by not knowing how to use Total Mix are not assigning correctly the DAW outputs to the correct RME Adat outs, and also you might be not connecting stuff properly.

The best thing if you want to get some help and solve the problem is to post various photos of the process you're doing, including DAW routing, Total Mix routing and all the cable connections.
You can also do a detailed video.
That was it would be clear for us on how we could help you out

Have you correctly set the sync switch on the back of the ada8000?

Have you correctly set the software to ADAT for your output device?

No I didn't look back. I mistakenly made an assumption of a basic understanding of the interface.

He is using:
I’m using a RME HDSP 9652 as my sound card.

Looking at the manual:
https://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/hdsp9652_e.pdf

He is going to have to enable the ADAT settings in the Driver software =  Hammerfall DSP System drive

Starting on Page  10 of the manual with updating the driver. Then following the directions for configuring it staring on page 11.

Once configured it should show up correctly in his DAW and in the ADA8000 once the correct outputs have been selected in the DAW.

No idea how TotalMix Works, but for example for TC Electronics' and Focusrite's interfaces, the DAW outputs are merely inputs for the interface's own internal mixer. If you need / want certain DAW outputs to be routed directly to certain hardware outputs, that needs to be assigned manually.

As I pointed out before - do NOT assume anything ::)

In older MOTU interfaces (up to the MK3 generation), DAW outputs were inherently directly routed to hardware outputs, but I doubt that's the case here.

Here USA link to the album where the photos are in

https://ibb.co/album/ccqLxb

Yes the switch on the back of the ADA is set to slave W/C and the setting in the RME driver is set to internal. I am using a w/C cable from the out of the RME to the ADA as this is the only way it will stay synced to the sound card.  I know people say to use the master on the ADA but I have been told to use to RME as the master as it it’s internal clock is better.  Though I have tried it the other way ad still no audio output.

Khron said:
No idea how TotalMix Works, but for example for TC Electronics' and Focusrite's interfaces, the DAW outputs are merely inputs for the interface's own internal mixer. If you need / want certain DAW outputs to be routed directly to certain hardware outputs, that needs to be assigned manually.

As I pointed out before - do NOT assume anything ::)

In older MOTU interfaces (up to the MK3 generation), DAW outputs were inherently directly routed to hardware outputs, but I doubt that's the case here.

This is where I am hitting a wall, I’m coming from Focusrite Safire gear. The Focusrite software is essentially nothing more than headphone mix software and the routing is fairly intuitive. 

My biggest issue with the Total Mix software is when trying to use the manual the visuals in the manual do not look like the visuals on the computer screen.  My initial question to RME was answered by oh you have Spd-f checked on the output.  That’s wrong.  Ok I unchecked it. Still no audio.  Well it’s one of your settings then. 

After working with someone on making sure the RME settings were ok, Similar question to Behringer resulted in being essentially told nothing was wrong with the hardware.  No other answer. 

I would settle to go back to the Focusrite and resell both these pieces of gear, but the windows update i received in September made windows stop acknowledging my. 1394 card so FireWire is.no longer an option for me. 

Just throwing it out there but seeing as how you have new RME drivers, is everything kosher with the actual device firmware version and everything else that's mentioned in the readme files?

What version of firmware do you have?

I dont understand by the pictures if the connections are well made or not.

RME ADAT Out should connect to ADA8000 ADAT IN
You can try with ADA8000 as MASTER, change the switch on ADA8000 to master, and then change in the RME settings for it to be slave of ADAT

Then the TotalMIx is really easy to use:

- There 3 rows of faders
- Top row is the inputs, whats is the RME receiving on it's imputs
- second/middle row are the Software Outputs, The outputs from your DAW
- LAST Row are the actual RME Interface Outputs, what are you really sending to RME outputs, and this can be selected, if you press Fader/out1 then the Top and midlle row faders show what you are sending to OU1

Example:
- if you want to send to Interface OUT1 only the DAW Out1, when you press last row fader1 all the faders in the 2 top rows have to be down besides Software playback 1 that soulf have the fader at 0dbs

- another example, if you want to have input 2 and DAW playback 3 going to physical OUT3 on the interace, the when you press last row OUT3, The mix to OUT3 appear on the top2 fader layers, then all faders from the top2 rows should be down except INPUT 2 (fisrt row) fader should be at 0bs and DAW Out 3 (2nd row) fader should be at 0dbs

- Basically when you select any fader for the bottom 3rd row it works in Sends on fader mode, it shows you in the faders whats the mix that is going to that output

how this makes it more clear to you, if you have problems understanding read it a few times and try it out.

IF you want DAW output 1-2 to go to ADAT1-2 output, then you should select in the bottom row ADAT1-2 and then bring the faders in the DAW 1-2 faders (2nd/middle row) to 0dns, all the other faders should be down

Like the others said, I believe you have something wrong in total mix.
I suggest you take fresh start:

-disconnect the ADAT and WC Cables
-if possible reset total mix to default settings
-connect the ADAT cables: RME ADAT 1 out to the ADA8000 ADAT in and do it the other way with the second ADAT cable.
-switch WC on the ADA8000 to 44.1kHz
-for testing purposes get Winamp and select ADAT 1+2 for output in options and make a Playlist with 2 or 3 songs on repeat.
-open Total mix and take a look in the fader picture if you see moving bars. If yes and you have no sound then you can play around assigning the outputs in the total mix matrix

If you have success and hear your Winamp playing then you can take it from there and reconnect the rme WC.
I for myself don't use the RME WC

Greets

Back