brexit.... Jan 2021

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
Which is clearly completely wrong. It is time these 'rights' were brought back under the umbrella of the government - nationalised if you wish - a licences granted directly to individual British based fishermen.

Which  all falls under, and is part of a negotiated trade agreement, a trade agreement which is looking less and less likely to happen now before the end of the transition period.

ruffrecords said:
This still does not explain how Brussels thinks it 'owns' 85% or so of British fishing rights. Either they are in the hands of the EU and were doled out to the rich (elitism in practice yet again) or they sold them to them. I am surprised the EU allows quota hopping but 

I urge you to read the overview I posted in you're interested in understanding  this mess.  But in short -  UK government mismanagement over successive decades allowed a large portion of the UK fishing quotas to be accumulated by a few wealthy companies.  These were then sold to smaller EU companies who bought them fair and square.  Brussels/the EU did not dole them out to the rich in the EU.  Our own  'elites' sold them to the EU. 

However, I will be eagerly awaiting all those glorious sunny uplands that Brexit promised to deliver.     

Interesting articles, thanks.

I found this part very interesting

"The government really needs to sharpen up on what they want to achieve in these negotiations," said Mr Lines.

"If nothing's going to change, the whole Brexit scenario is a lie. If English fisherman don't benefit from this, it's been a pointless exercise for us."

Our research suggests that taking back much greater control could mean buying back fishing quota.

That would come at quite a cost, which the government doesn't currently seem prepared to pay

All this spiel about TAKING BACK CONTROL etc doesn't ring quite so true when you dig into the details eh.

Winston O'Boogie said:
https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/03/07/fishing-brexit-uk-fleetwood/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52420116
Thanks for the links. Although quite lengthy, they make for highly interesting reads.

I must admit I wasn't fully aware of HOW fucked up it was. So they accidentally privatized and then sold off fishing rights offshore ?  OUCH !!!

Now that's a real bummer, expensive to buy back, and a very bitter pill to swallow. So,  yes, I do see why it's easier to blame others.

I said it before but worth repeating:
forget about the glorious  early 1970s once and for all , and teach British fishers today how to farm fish or even better how to farm ocean delicacies, as they pay better !!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/couple-disbelief-rare-sea-creatures-22644942
;)
Of course that Mirror link is nonsense. Still, the future is not in fishing by boat but 'farming' fish and other rarities.

Rob & Script:  Yes exactly! 
The details around the fishing rights are certainly messy,  just as most everything  else involved with  this divorce is.

But then, the Brexit that was sold was never compatible with any sort of Brexit that was achievable.
Personally speaking, unless and until the public are told the truth regarding realistic expectations, I don't see anything but uncertainty, disappointment, and anger for lots of folks in  'Perfidious Albion'.

However,  the government will no doubt kick it into the long grass and, together with the handful of billionaire media moguls who own most of our entire press/media, they will simply lay blame squarely with the E.U. 
This will be bought hook, line, and sinker (shit, a fishing pun!) by many. 

Edit:  Script,  that idea of  fish farming is a great one!  Possibly too forward thinking for our current cabinet, but something that will become increasingly necessary as population grows and real food supplies shrink.

that idea of  fish farming is a great one!  Possibly too forward thinking for our current cabinet, but
And I'm quite sure the Japanese would be happy to help out  there -- and especially now that the UK and Japan seem to have a deal ;)

Standing by for some remarks about "something something sovereignty" and "something something unelected Brussels bureaucrats"  ;D

living sounds said:
Support for Brexit is finally collapsing:

https://www.businessinsider.com/brexit-poll-minority-believe-was-right-to-leave-the-eu-2020-9?r=DE&IR=T

Unfortunately I am unable to read the article as it insists I turn off my ad blocker. No way I am having that freedom eroded.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
Unfortunately I am unable to read the article as it insists I turn off my ad blocker. No way I am having that freedom eroded.

Cheers

Ian

Which one are you using? I had that problem before with adblock plus, but ublock origin is much better.

ruffrecords said:

Cheers

Ian

You could use Brave as a Chrome based browser with ad blocking built-in...

Reads the article just fine.

cyrano said:
You could use Brave as a Chrome based browser with ad blocking built-in...

Reads the article just fine.
I read it on  Firefox in the end. Brief, to the point but unsurprising.

Cheers

Ian

The price of freedom!

Brexit will have cost the UK more than £200 billion in lost economic growth by the end of this year - a figure which almost eclipses the total amount the UK will have paid towards the EU budget over the past 47 years.

According to research by Bloomberg Economics, the cost of the UK's vote to leave has already reached £130 billion, with a further £70 billion likely to be added by the end of 2020. 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/brexit-will-soon-have-cost-the-uk-more-than-all-of-its-payments-to-the-eu-over-the-last-47-years-put-together/ar-BBYWF39

Script said:
"something something sovereignty"

Haha, indeed.

It's been an intersting week in Brexit world.  Posturing aplenty

“The trade talks are over – the EU has effectively ended them, and we aren’t going to take part in a nonsense process,” a UK source said, filling in the gaps in the prime minister’s statement. “Only if the EU fundamentally changes position will it be worth talking.”

But Brussels simply did not believe him. “What a load of nonsense”, said one EU official. “What was the point of that?”

The reason for the EU’s disbelief is that Johnson had given himself plenty of wriggle room. “It was an invitation to continue to talk – it was very balanced, actually,” said a second senior EU official.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/oct/16/boris-johnson-brexit-statement-eu-trade-analysis

So much for that oven ready deal, eh Mr Johnson.

Latest posts

Back