Woke Madness

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ruffrecords said:
To be honest I do not understand this fixation for blaming people for things that happened hundreds of years before they were born. I don't expect the Italians to take a knee because the Romans invaded the UK and dragged many Brits away into slavery. Equally, I don't want any Scandanavians to apologise for raping and pillaging the east coast of England, or the French for 1066 and centuries of serfdom (slavery) for the ordinary English folk.

Cheers

Ian

My county is still sh*ttng all over the people that were initially brought over as slaves. N*gger was a common word when I was growing up. This problem is not generations behind us. Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's not bothersome to others. Have compassion. Realize your privilege... Ian, you asked. America delivered.

iturnknobs said:
My county is still sh*ttng all over the people that were initially brought over as slaves. N*gger was a common word when I was growing up. This problem is not generations behind us. Just because something doesn't bother you doesn't mean it's not bothersome to others. Have compassion. Realize your privilege... Ian, you asked. America delivered.
Right on. After Obama was elected I had a patient tell me during an exam, "We've got to get that n*gger out of the White House." There's a lot of those folks in here in northern California (same ignorant trumpsters that won't wear masks), and I guess they figure all honkeys think alike.

Winston O'Boogie said:
Again, I agree. 
It's true that BLM protests have been co-opted by rioters in places, but that doesn't negate  the legitimate reasons the non rioters  have for protesting.
Similarly - I wouldn't say that all Trump supporters are racist.  But I'm pretty comfortable in saying that  most racists probably voted for Trump.

Honestly, you can't be white, not racist, and have been born and raised in America. It's part of the system. 95% of news stories are about black crime despite plenty of white crime to cover, every Movie, andTV show has a black criminal, the show "Cops", etc. Suburban white flight when white's had access to cheap houses in the suburbs and part of their deed insisted on not selling to non-caucasians. Mayors raising insurance and rent on black owned businesses, not allowing blacks to take out business loans so they can't own businesses in their neighborhoods for black people to work at. Anything you can say about any black neighborhood in America you can say about any poor neighborhood in any country in the world but Americans have been conditioned to believe those are problems or skin and not basic economics. I've had to spend time reading and thinking for a long time and see the unconscious racist things I've done in the past. No black person wants to hear from a white person that they're not racist. They want us to practice anti-racist rhetoric and help them abolish the system that legally enslaves them. Number one target being the private prison industrial system, the school to prison pipeline, war on drugs, and the police system directly descended from the original American system of policing which was for catching slaves in the south, and stomping out workers dissent in the north.

My father was 100% German but I never met him. Am I able to seek a path to German Citizenship?  ;D

Whoops said:
I completely agree with you Ian, it's just getting ridiculous and fueled by a present media narrative and misinformed Instagram teenagers.

Like JR I also feel it's really dangerous the present attitude of "pre-judging police unfairly because of a popular social justice narrative".
There's white people, yellow people and pink people being shot everyday by Police in a lot of different situations and for a lot of different reasons, but that doesn't make the news...

Lol this is a complete misunderstanding of what is happening. I'm happy to offer you reads on this subject and you literally do not understand it at all.

ruffrecords said:
I do hope so. Even Boris has slammed the BBC for its 'wetness' over this. I don't know about you be we always sing along at home. I don't see why they could not have someone there to sing the versus and the rest of us could sing the chorus at home. There is a movement to get Vera Lynn's version to number one in the charts so the BBC will have to play it. I for one will be downloading it.

To be honest I do not understand this fixation for blaming people for things that happened hundreds of years before they were born. I don't expect the Italians to take a knee because the Romans invaded the UK and dragged many Brits away into slavery. Equally, I don't want any Scandanavians to apologise for raping and pillaging the east coast of England, or the French for 1066 and centuries of serfdom (slavery) for the ordinary English folk.

Cheers

Ian

First of all, do you know how recently slaves were freed in the U.S.? It wasn't until June 19th 1865 that slaves were told they were free in the south.

Black communities in were massacred and bombed by the US government in the 20's. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_massacre

It wasn't until 1964 that segregation ended. That is around the time most parents of millennials were born. That means many people who were for the segregation and were upset about the change raised my parents. My parents generation being easily the most outwardly open racist generation I've ever seen. You wouldn't believe some of the things I've heard them say while talking about Black Lives Matter.

This famous picture of the first integration of a black girl into a while school. Parents were holding signs with scary hateful speech threatening her life. A child!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruby_Bridges

The Romans dragging the British into slavery is so absurdly long ago I don't know how anyone in their right mind can even mention it. But I think you realize that the favor has been returned between the English and the Italians quite a few times both socially and economically. Not to mention that that Black people can't hide from their Identity but someone like me of Scottish and German descent could easily get a tan, grow a stache, and learn Italian and no one would be the wiser.

Wokeness, for its many admirable intentions, doesn't get the negative impact it has on the majority population. What the culture prides itself in sharing has been more responsible for defections on the left than the overly-passionate protests, because nearly everyone can, in the least, identify with rage that comes by repeated, unfair treatment.  But the fact that defensive rebuttal has become self-incriminating, or that non-falsifiable claims leveled at targets succeed in destroying their livelihood, has more in common with 18th century puritanism than liberal-mindedness. "Thou shalt not suffer a racist to live" has become the aspiration.  As the devil moves swiftly and secretly from host to host, woke culture offers no pathways for redemption or conversion for those wretched souls enticed by the comforts of inequality.

Whoops said:
I totally agree with that, you are completely misunderstanding

Please would you clarify which bit he's misunderstanding and you are understanding?

You talked in a previous post about how people of various (made up) skin colours are shot every day by police, but the facts overwhelmingly demonstrate that black people are more likely to suffer deadly violence at the hands of the police.

That's the second fictional assertion in just a few posts in this thread.

NYT opinion piece
Identifies "Trumpism" and "Woke mobs" as two sides of the same medal: "Mean World" thinking, interesting approach, no dumb bashing inside...and points to a way out?
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/27/opinion/trump-republicans-2020.html

Both "sides" digging in will lead to no solution, for no one. Raising pressure will raise counter pressure,
a society (including law and order that are more than a right wing slogan) can not be made of winners and losers, there needs to be balancing of interests, basic WISDOM, people need to get their act together, regain some dignity and be responsible sensible human beings and quit this childish sh*t show, but I guess there´s just too much power and money at stake. So descent into chaos (don´t forget to blame it on the other side). :'(

rob_gould said:
You talked in a previous post about how people of various (made up) skin colours are shot every day by police, but the facts overwhelmingly demonstrate that black people are more likely to suffer deadly violence at the hands of the police.

Thats not true, please prove that

Whoops said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmccarthy/2020/05/28/police-shootings-black-americans-disproportionately-affected-infographic/

https://medium.com/retention/police-kill-more-whites-than-blacks-is-true-and-it-isnt-55102f5206b3

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/do-police-kill-more-whites-than-black-people/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Here's some woke madness. The man shot by the police, who is now paralyzed from the waist down, is still chained to his hospital bed. The cops instructed the 17 year old shooter on crowd control etiquette before killing people like me who are against inequality. Then they let him walk past with an AR-15 while people screamed that he had shot people. Then they treated him like a human and peacefully brought him in. Shame on ANYONE on the right that cannot see the stark contrast.

iturnknobs said:
Here's some woke madness. The man shot by the police, who is now paralyzed from the waist down, is still chained to his hospital bed. The cops instructed the 17 year old shooter on crowd control etiquette before killing people like me who are against inequality. Then they let him walk past with an AR-15 while people screamed that he had shot people. Then they treated him like a human and peacefully brought him in. Shame on ANYONE on the right that cannot see the stark contrast.
...and the shooter's mother gave him the gun and drove her 17 year old BOY across state lines to "participate" with the militia organized on FB. These are the Republicans around me.

FarisElek said:
It wasn't until 1964 that segregation ended.
Forced integration of schools wasn't until 1972 (you might or might not be surprised how many private schools started up right about then).  And even that didn't count for much in the long run--a lot of the progress made in integrating schools has been allowed to slip away, and practices like redlining keep de facto segregation going strong. 

Whoops said:

Maybe it's not true in Portugal, but it is in the US. 
Sure, as many white folks are killed as black folks.  But black folks are a significantly lower percentage of the population. 
And if you look at the levels of incarceration in the US., it's off the charts too, with an overwhelmingly high percentage of BAME inmates.
I gave all the figures in another thread on here but it's out there to find if you felt like doing the homework.

Edit:  For shits and giggles I looked up the figures for Portugal and it's a pretty decent record.    Your police kill, on average, 1 person per 10 million of the population.  My present country, the UK, the figure is  0.5.   

You've less chance of boing killed by the police in Mexico - ya know, that place that Trump said is full of rapists and murderers - than you do in the US.    The respective figures per 10 million is 30 for Mexico, and 34.8 for the US.   

I want equal justice for all citizens of the US first and foremost, and then I want a much, much better system that doesn't kill 1500 of its citizens every year. 

P.S.  As far the term 'Woke' first coming  about,  I remember it  belonging to the folks that believed in the David Icke  crack pot theories that we're all governed by 1000 year old reptiles in a cabal or 'World Order'.  It was a term they gave themselves I think. 

As it's used now, if being 'Woke' means I support equality for all, then I'm fucking Woke. 
I'm also happy to identify as Antifa, just as the tens of thousands that landed on the Normandy Beaches in WWII did. 

P.S.2:    For all who were uptight about the 'Last Night Of The Proms'  dead cat story,  I'm sure they're all listening to the first live concert broadcast tonight yes?

"Sakari Oramo leads the BBC Symphony Orchestra for the first live Prom of the season. Beethoven’s epic ‘Eroica’ Symphony"

Latest posts

Back