camarada78

Transformerless Line to Amp circuit.
« on: August 27, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
Is there a simple "standard" circuit to make a Line to Amp (reamp box) without the use of transformers?

I already have one with transformer (edcor) and I would like to compare to a transformerless version.

Thanks,

Have a good day.
Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

fazer

Re: Transformerless Line to Amp circuit.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 05:14:22 AM »
The transformer is for galvanic isolation.  The ground loop is eliminated with the transformer. Not so easy without.  I don’t know of a circuit that can do that without a balanced input. Typically unbalanced is  used on instrument (guitar/bass) amps.

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 04:38:37 PM »
Is there a simple "standard" circuit to make a Line to Amp (reamp box) without the use of transformers?
It is quite possible. It's a basic differential line receiver, which could be a one opamp gig, a 3 opamp gig, or use a dedicated chip (E.G. THAT1206). It should be powered from a source referenced to the guitar amp, or off batteries.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

camarada78

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
It is quite possible. It's a basic differential line receiver, which could be a one opamp gig, a 3 opamp gig, or use a dedicated chip (E.G. THAT1206). It should be powered from a source referenced to the guitar amp, or off batteries.

Supposing i dont have ground problems on the setup, a simple balancing circuit would do the trick?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

abbey road d enfer

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 12:47:25 AM »
Supposing i dont have ground problems on the setup, a simple balancing circuit would do the trick?

Yes.
Who's right or wrong is irrelevant. What matters is what's right or wrong.
Star ground is for electricians.

My3gger

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 03:46:01 PM »

I already have one with transformer (edcor) and I would like to compare to a transformerless version.

Thanks,

Have a good day.

Hello,

could be interesting comparison if you don't get into troubles with ground. I tested 2 other transformers and Edcor, used mainly with guitars (clean and distorted). Sound wasn't really different with the same signal levels, guess instruments had a lot more distortion than circuit. Passive is probably cheaper compared to expense for psu with transformer, bigger chasis, etc.
Let us know how you like it regarding sound and ground.